These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Lock Screen When Display is Turned Off - "Prevent Auto-Lock"

Post by DJDanny973
So in order to save power while I am using waze, I turn off the display (touch my power button), when I am driving long distances. After a certain amount of time, my lock screen is on again. This is obviously a problem while driving.

In the settings I already have enabled "Prevent auto-lock" enabled!

When using google maps, the phone does not lock.

I can't understand why this functionality isn't built into the application???
DJDanny973

POSTER_ID:17224795

Send a message

Post by DJDanny973
Thank you for the reply edward.

However, google maps does not function like this. If I have google maps running and giving directions, and turn the display off and then later turn the display on, phone is NOT locked. If i want to check my other app or something, the lock screen pops up.

This is the functionality waze use to provide with android lolipop.

The biggest battery drain is the phones display. There is no need to have the waze display on when on long drives.
DJDanny973
Send a message

Post by Edward50095
When you "touch my power button" you are manually locking your phone. You hear the padlock click shut, and the screen goes blank.

I too do this all the time to conserve power. But of course when you press your home key, or power button again to bring the display (the map) back, the phone will be locked, since you manually locked it.

All you have to do is make a quick swipe anywhere on the screen to unlock the phone and bring the map back. And my finger is right there, since I just pressed a button.

If you disable "prevent auto lock" the map will disappear after your preset time, on its own, as per usual. The ONLY reason your map never disappears is that you have selected "prevent auto lock".

Anytime you manually lock your phone, unlocking will be required, and the last app in use will be displayed.
Edward50095
Send a message