Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by nicosax
Waze on iOS 12, Carplay in Renault Megane 4 - Iphone 5 SE

I am a big fan of waze (almost 10 years :)) and I just installed Waze and took a small drive to test it.

1- In terms of functionality, the big missing part is the speed limit indicator which i use a lot to limit the speed of the car which is always 2-5 km/h not accurate. (Most of the cars actually)

2- Big issue for me is the latency : touching the screen is not responsive. I have a 1-2 s delay on the screen. Sometimes, the UI is completely not responsive. I click many times on the screen and 10 s later, the top ribbon appears.
I tested Google maps and Maps and the responsivness is perfect so it is not my phone :)

I hope this latency issue will be fixed. Anyone experiencing the same behavior ?
nicosax
Send a message

Post by nicosax
Tested v4.43.5 today on my Iphone 5 SE

I found that the application is not working well as soon as the car is moving. If the car is still, UI is responsive and i can navigate through the menu easely. When i start to move, UI is not responsive anymore. If i click on the map, menu takes like 15 sec to appear. Clicking on a button is not working. Event pressing the stop button stops the app on my phone but the screen on the car is still showing waze.
For me it is not usable at all when driving
I don' t experience the same with google maps and maps
Will try to make a video and send it to waze.
nicosax
Send a message
Last edited by nicosax on Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by nikhsub1
OK, so I hate waze on carplay - I want to use carplay but not waze in carplay, I prefer to have waze on my phone and other things on my car screen. I have removed the waze app from the carplay settings but it doesn't matter - If carplay is enabled and I start Waze on my phone, my radio now is full screen waze and I can't see anything else. It's horrible. Please make it stop. There should be a setting in waze to disallow in carplay.
nikhsub1
Send a message

Post by nikhsub1
spenno73 wrote:
nikhsub1 wrote:OK, so I hate waze on carplay - I want to use carplay but not waze in carplay, I prefer to have waze on my phone and other things on my car screen. I have removed the waze app from the carplay settings but it doesn't matter - If carplay is enabled and I start Waze on my phone, my radio now is full screen waze and I can't see anything else. It's horrible. Please make it stop. There should be a setting in waze to disallow in carplay.
I thought you could delete in the CarPlay setttngs on your iPhone?
Yeah, you would think. All that does is remove the waze app icon from carplay - if you launch waze on your phone, it still takes over the car screen. It's maddening.
nikhsub1
Send a message

Post by nikhsub1
ARVpr wrote:My experience of CarPlay in the above post is the same. My belief is that Apple implemented CarPlay to mean that you should not need to touch your phone, hence the apps mimic on each or you get the CarPlay home screen.

I know it may still be legal in some US states to text/email (one or the other) but it kinda fits with the UK as it is illegal to touch your phone at all. (Even if your other half is yapping so much it is more distracting than texting!!)
Yes I understand but when waze was on my phone before it was carplay, i never touched it... it just displayed waze. I used carplay for everything else on the radio, since I could display 2 things at once, now that cannot be done. I would think that in the app itself there could be a setting to 'not allow carplay mode' or something.
nikhsub1
Send a message

Post by nikhsub1
Well, Waze via CarPlay is far worse than Waze not on CarPlay. There must be something that can be done.
nikhsub1
Send a message

Post by NithG
I drove with Waze on Apple CarPlay (on an aftermarket product - Kenwood DMX7705S) and my experience was frustrating. I found out the below issues:
1. The maps were way off - While I was driving on the highway, the Waze on Carplay was displaying as if I was driving on a different road
2. The map was never able to identify my position and was still pointing me to the next turn while I had completed that turn.

Let me know if this is the same experience with other users and also let me know if this could be fixed.

Thanks
nith.
NithG
Send a message

Post by NithG
Thanks. My phone is in the open always when I connect to the Carplay. I've also tried to remove the app every time I've used it and launch it just before searching for a direction. I still have that issue. Are there any other workaround or points I need to consider?
NithG wrote:I drove with Waze on Apple CarPlay (on an aftermarket product - Kenwood DMX7705S) and my experience was frustrating. I found out the below issues:
1. The maps were way off - While I was driving on the highway, the Waze on Carplay was displaying as if I was driving on a different road
2. The map was never able to identify my position and was still pointing me to the next turn while I had completed that turn.

Let me know if this is the same experience with other users and also let me know if this could be fixed.

Thanks
nith.
NithG
Send a message

Post by nlevake
USA 2018 Nissan Rogue SL, stock navigation/stereo system, iPhone 6s Plus on iOS12, up to date Waze

Waze is visible in Car Play. Whether I enter my route on the phone before connecting to the stereo, or if I connect by USB and then launch Waze, from Car Play or the phone, the Car Play Waze will not find a route, though it displays my position on the map while driving, and on the phone, I get the message No GPS; Showing approximate location, and the turn list. If I have a route in progress on the phone, as soon as I connect to USB, Car Play launches Waze, and formerly-connected GPS is shut off and I get the No GPS message, and no route, and the phone displays the turn list. As soon as I disable Car Play through Settings, Screen Time, Content & Privacy Restrictions, toggle off Car Play, Waze on the phone reconnects to GPS and works properly.

This is the same behavior that Waze/car stereo/Car Play displayed before the Waze app was implemented in Car Play, before iOS 12. At that time, with Car Play enabled, Waze was prevented from using GPS. I had to disable Car Play to be able to use Waze.

This car stereo is not able to use Car Play via Bluetooth.

There are at least two other users I am aware of with the exact same vehicle who are having the No GPS problem.
nlevake
Send a message

Post by nlevake
karlcr9911 wrote:@nlevake

This was a requirement from Apple that if an on-board navigation system is used/recognized, that it will take priority and Waze must stop providing navigation. If Google Maps has somehow gotten around this, not sure how but Waze devs said they were specifically prevented from doing this.
What about the Apple Maps itself? That works and overrides the on-board. Well, that's great.
nlevake
Send a message