Using Waze with Apple CarPlay

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Using Waze with Apple CarPlay

Postby mw30819 » Tue May 28, 2019 9:30 am

I'm using Waze 4.51.1.0 with iOS 12.3.1
mw30819

Postby Pedrinhov94 » Tue May 28, 2019 12:38 pm

Hello

I am using waze ion Carply since the beginning and I am waiting for some features that are presents on the phone app for a while and that are sometimes present in other applications:

- Display GPS speed (like in Sygic and Magic Earth)
- Show Controle Area
- Show traffic jam area
- Toggle Toll / No Toll option (Like Google Maps)
- Show if there is a toll oor not on the route (like on iPhone)
- Vocal search from CarPlay (like Plans, Google Maps and Sygic)

Is there any roadmap for these features ?

Thank you ! :)
Pedrinhov94

Postby StevenEerdekens » Tue May 28, 2019 1:11 pm

I confirm, no more speed limit on Carplay after upgrading to 4.51
StevenEerdekens

Postby Dylanv21 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:43 pm

Same here in Belgium. No more speed limit visible since upgrading to latest version (4.51). Please fix this. Also reported this problem in the app.
Dylanv21

Postby DrHKF » Tue May 28, 2019 4:15 pm

I received the reply from Waze below:

Hi Wazer,

Thanks for contacting us about the speed limit feature on Apple CarPlay.

Please be advised that we have made some changes in version 4.51. We confirm that the speedometer replaces the old speed indicator.

To enable this feature, while Waze is displayed on your Carplay screen, follow these steps in the Waze app on your iPhone:
Tap Menu (magnifying glass icon).
Tap Settings (gear icon).
Tap Speedometer.
Turn on Show speedometer.
The speedometer appears on the map while you navigate. When you reach the maximum speed limit, you get an alert.

If this doesn't help, please let us know and send us a screen video recording or screenshots if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Sam
Waze Support Team
DrHKF

Postby jcil4ever » Tue May 28, 2019 5:55 pm

I noticed the same problem with the update: I wasn't seeing speed limits while driving. I checked to see if it would work while navigating and, once I started a route, the normal Waze iOS (not CarPlay speed limits only) speedometer with speed limits popped up. It has remained, even after stopping navigation. Why don't you try starting a route to see if it restores the speed limits?

[ img ]

One caveat: I noticed this problem on my car that has a Pioneer Wireless Carplay aftermarket head unit. It's in the body shop as of this morning. Noticed the same problem (no speed limits) in my rental (a 2019 Chrysler 300) and fixed it in the 300. Hopefully it will also work in my car, but don't see why it wouldn't.
jcil4ever

Postby DrHKF » Tue May 28, 2019 8:24 pm

Cool. It’s working for me too! Thanks for a quick response and a great app, Waze!
DrHKF

Postby G_W1Z » Tue May 28, 2019 8:46 pm

Works perfectly for me, I like how it lights up red! Thanks for this!
G_W1Z
Pennsylvania LAM (USA:NOR)
Waze Etiquette | Pennsylvania Editing
A Phoenix out of the ashes...
iPhone XS | Apple Car Play
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
G_W1Z
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby JayW-03 » Tue May 28, 2019 9:47 pm

Waze automatically updated today and now I only have options to see speedometer "at speed limit" or above. I want the old version back. I just want to see the speed limit sign in the corner not the speedometer at whatever limit. I dont want it blinking and flashing at me. Does anyone know how to downgrade to the last version or how to just show the speed limit sign?
JayW-03

Postby CrzRsn » Tue May 28, 2019 10:24 pm

Am I the only one that really doesn’t like this?

1. I have a speedometer right infront of me in my instrument cluster, I look at my nav screen to see the speed limit, not my current speed. Yes, the speed limit is still there, but now its way smaller, and I only have a 6.5” screen to start with.
  2. The Waze speedometer is consistently 8-9mph fast. Verified this with an external GPS based Racelogic VBox data acquisition unit. Very annoying to have it keep flashing red when I’m driving significantly under the limit.

I tried turning off the speedo, but then the limit goes away. But I can turn off the limit and keep the speedo, so why not vice-versa?

Also some interesting observation regarding the speed issue - running Waze on my 2nd phone, the app speedometer matches both the car and the Vbox, but is the same 8-9mph slower than Waze via CarPlay on my first phone. When I unplug my first phone, both phones show the same speed. Plugging the first phone back into CarPlay brings back the speed discrepancy. The second phone plugged into CarPlay is also 8-9mph fast. For reference, the car is a 2017 Ford Fiesta. Not sure if its Ford or Apple messing with the signal.

Regardless, even if the overspeed issue is fixed, having the option to only show the speed limit without current speed should be an option.
CrzRsn

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App