Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Update Request (2): Detroit, MI I-75

Post by JBrooks0606
My editing level status: I'm new here, so 1. (Hopefully that'll change since this is a great venue for my OCD... lol)

There are a handful of errors all along I-75 going through Detroit that I've seen while driving, but I've only found two to start. They're listed below:

1)
-83.05052 42.34067
(I-75 N) - At exit 51B for M-3/Gratiot Avenue, someone placed a really short segment at the beginning of the exit on the left. The segment is somehow still labeled as I-75 (which is on the right), which leads to wrong directions (i.e. "please exit to I-75 on your left..." - which you can't do because I-75 is on the right).
Please delete this segment, and simply drag the exit lane for Gratiot down to where it should meet up at I-75.

2)
-83.04582 42.34176
(I-75 N) - At Exit 51C for I-375 S. Just a little further up the road, AT THE VERY NEXT EXIT, there's another error. I-75 is broken into two pieces just past the junction for the exit. There's a small segment labeled as a ramp that needs to be deleted, and the two segments of I-75 need to be pulled together.

I'd ask if it could be unlocked so I could get credit for fixing it, butttt I'm sure that with it being an Interstate, that the level 5 coding is there for a reason. Do what you guys have to do, but please help me make sure these get fixed.
JBrooks0606

POSTER_ID:17161406

Send a message

Post by JBrooks0606
I came across both of these instances because of poor, or incorrect driving instructions. I drive for Uber, and go over these roads daily, so the instances that happen more than once I remember easiest... which were these two.

In the first instance, I was supposed to be taking the Gratiot exit.. on the left. When the instructions came up, instead of hearing "Keep left for Exit 51B, Gratiot Ave", I hear "Keep left on I-75".. so I did what any normal user would do and kept left on the I-75 portion.. or the right side of the fork (and then got yellllllled at).

In this instance, your "wayfinder" makes things harder. Hearing those full-named exit prompts is imperative, especially on the interstates, and putting those "buffers" in complicates things by making them more confusing due to the omitted information. The prompt to watch for upcoming Exit information won't come up until you're on the previous segment, so you're in effect robbing the driver from that oh-so-important heads up. I should note that prior to reporting these two instances, I glanced up and down several Interstates in the area, and these "wayfinder" blocks are rare.. with obviously good reason.

Also, your links for directions came up to a map with the basic area shown and zero instructions.

For the second situation, I-75 N doesn't go into a ramp, but stays at grade, with the I-375 sections going below grade. Classifying it as a ramp is excessive and incorrect, though the Exit for 375 should be dropping to -1 and be identified as an off-ramp... because that part actually is. Also, the speed limit for that curve of I-75 is 25 mph, not 70... you hit that turn at 70, and you'll flip into the lower pathways.

I drive these often.. and using Waze they both come up with incorrect information (so I often use another routing software system so I don't get poor directions). Please help me to make them 100% accurate, as unconfusing as possible, and just.. *sigh* just fix them.
JBrooks0606
Send a message

Post by SkiDooGuy
Hello,

Welcome to Waze, I'd be glad to help with some of your issues.

1 -
I think you are talking about this segment, which we refer to as a "Wayfinder" to help force instructions. In this case, the one on the left is unnamed whereas the right split has the I-75 based name.

If you follow this link to Livemap and click on the route instructions on the left, you can see it says to "Keep Left".
Click me

Whereas if you look at this route it has the "Keep Right to I-75" in the guidence.
Clicky Click

2-
This is the same situation, although you are right and it's a different set up, ramps in this case, that wayfinder is there to force proper instruction. This is the segment you are talking about I believe.

If you are getting bad instructions here please let us know, but as to the set-up, they are done correctly in these instances.

Thanks for coming to the forum and looking for help!
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 1
Send a message
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor

https://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.png