Routing issues with First United Meth. Church in Holland

Post by justdave72
Background:

First United Methodist Church in Holland has a physical address of 57 W 10th St. However, the property occupies the entire city block between 9th and 10th Streets, and has entrances to the parking lot from both streets.

The problem:

When approaching from the north, it is much easier to get to the 9th Street entrance, however, because the address is on 10th St, Waze insists on routing me to the 10th Street entrance. Routing to the 10th St entrance is still appropriate if approaching from the south (it should go to whichever entrance is closer on the route). I have reported this a few times, and it's actually been fixed a few times, and the fix never lasts more then two or three weeks before going back to the old behavior.

One of the volunteers who fixed my report one of the times indicated that it had been fixed by converting the church from a point to an area, so on my most-recent attempt I used the map editor and made that change myself. This time it didn't even last a week. Obviously, someone with some authority disagrees with the fixes that have been made since they keep getting reverted. It doesn't help that the map editor doesn't let you leave comments to explain why you're making a change, so likely whoever's reverting it doesn't know why the change was made, or perhaps there's a good reason it shouldn't have been but because they couldn't leave a comment when they reverted it the rest of us don't know what that reason was.

So in the interest of not continually having an edit war on this location, what is the correct way to solve this problem?
justdave72

POSTER_ID:17037798

Send a message

Post by justdave72
OK, so I'm navigating to this location from a calendar entry... When picking it the first time, Waze requires me to "Set this event's exact address" and then takes me to a search box, which contains two listings for "First United Methodist Church" one of which says "57 West 10th Street, Holland, MI" and other says "57 W 10th St, Holland". No indication that I can tell which one is the place marker and which one is the actual street address. I'm guessing that's what the problem is, is that's the difference between those two and I've picked the wrong one.
justdave72
Send a message

Post by vaindil
(For reference for other editors: permalink)

The standard for a church is a place, not an area, which is why the change was reverted. There is a specific set of place categories that use areas and others that use places, church ("Religious Center") is the latter.

I and several other editors tested in the app--if you select the place by name instead of entering the address, it routes correctly. (from the south | from the north) The app will sometimes use data from Google Maps instead (especially for addresses), so I've adjusted the location of the address pin in Google Map Maker. That will go live in the next day or so, depending on when Waze refreshes its data.
vaindil
Send a message