Why are none of the pictures I'm submitting showing up?

Post by EricWolffKnitter
I've taken and submitted literally dozens of pictures of the parking lot I park in for my work over the last few weeks--from the road, from the sidewalk, from the car driving up, from standing in the road, from across the street,… Not a single one of them has actually shown up in Waze.

How do I know why these photographs are not getting accepted? Does this mean that there's a map editor out there that simply deleting my pictures?

The Waze app that I'm using to submit the pictures tells me they've been submitted. They show up on the screen like they've been submitted. Everything looks OK to me. Next day? Nothing.

Should I just stop bothering trying to take pictures?

Thanks!

-Eric.
EricWolffKnitter

POSTER_ID:17072984

Send a message

Post by Doryphore_6
Hello Eric,
I am Doryphore_6, the Waze state manager for Michigan. I do not know who has been deleting the pictures you have submitted previously. I have locked the parking lot you are referring to at 5. This will make it so only senior editors will be able to approve or reject future photo submissions for that place. Also, please take a look at the following link:

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Places#Deter ... ble_Photos

This may explain why the photos were unacceptable. Any photo including a face or license plate must be rejected. The photo should be of the exterior of the place only, and be useful for drivers navigating to that place.

Keep submitting photos that you feel are appropriate and I will keep an eye on the place for ones I can approve.

Thanks
Doryphore_6
Doryphore_6
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by Doryphore_6
The ability for editors to have photo editing tools has long been requested. Unfortunately we still are waiting for this to happen. Also we wish we had the ability to let the submitter know why the photo was rejected, but that is also not available when the submitter doesn't have a forum acct. I've had to reject beautiful photos only because they came in upside down. Editors have no desire to reject photos, or to prefer photos from some users and not others. I've never heard of this happening. We would like to accept every photo that gets submitted, but we have standards that cannot be waived.
Doryphore_6
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Doryphore_6
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... ueFilter=0

That's the link to the place I believe you are attempting to add photos to. I checked this morning and there are no Place Update Requests (PURs). You can see it is locked at 5 and only rank 5 & 6 editors would be able to approve or reject photos added to that place.

Fighting the bugs to get things done in the map is unfortunately part of the deal when editing for Waze. Most find it is rewarding enough to be worth the trouble.

I will continue to watch for the new picture you added to show up for approval.

Doryphore_6
Doryphore_6
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Doryphore_6
I just realized that I had locked the wrong lot, I had locked the one at 4th and Williams. I have now locked the one at 1st and Williams as well and that should prevent editors other than myself and a few other senior editor from being able to moderate these photos. Unfortunately it appears that a lower ranked editor may have rejected the most recent photo you submitted for the 1st and Williams lot. The most recent photo you submitted should have been approved and I will attempt to identify who rejected it.

Doryphore_6
Doryphore_6
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Doryphore_6
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by EricWolffKnitter
Maybe that's the problem. Despite the name of the lot "1st & William Lot" being on the map, and me being able to search for it and navigate to it on the app, it apparently isn't searchable or linkable here? There's nowhere on the map that I can click that will bring up the "1st & William Lot" location and it's not searchable, either.

This is the closest permalink I can get for it, but it's showing up as the railroad:

https://www.waze.com/livemap?zoom=17&la ... =-83.75076

I WAS able to update all the information about the lot recently, but the pictures I'm submitting simply disappear after they're submitted.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

-Eric.
EricWolffKnitter
Send a message

Post by EricWolffKnitter
Thanks!

Okay, Michigan editors! Any idea what's going on here?

-Eric.
EricWolffKnitter
Send a message

Post by EricWolffKnitter
Thanks! I'll take and submit another one this evening when I leave work and see how it goes.

I did read the article that you referred me to before, but I just read it again. When my first few pictures didn't show up, I went hunting for the possible reason why and quickly became quite educated on what's acceptable and what's most helpful, so I'm pretty sure that the last dozen or so pictures I've submitted should have been acceptable. That's why I started to get suspicious that some disgruntled editor was out there deleting everything I submitted, without regard to what the picture shows.

In this case, understanding that the whole point of the pictures is to make the place easier for drivers to identify as they're approaching it, I started snapping pictures from my iPhone that's mounted on the front window of my car as I'm approaching the lot entrance. The entrance is clear, the signage around it is clear, the business you pass just before the entrance is clearly just off on the left edge of the photo, about to be passed. It's exactly what *I*, as a driver approaching the lot, would see as I'm approaching it. How much better can a picture get than that?

Also, having picture after picture after picture get rejected without one word of explanation from whoever keeps rejecting them doesn't foster my desire to continue submitting pictures. It makes me think that the map editors have formed a special little club that only accepts pictures from their special favorite friends and everyone else gets summarily deleted. I'm sure that's not the attitude that Waze wants people to get when all we're trying to do is add content to their resources, right?

Thanks again for your help! I'll try to resubmit again and let you know when I have.

-Eric.
EricWolffKnitter
Send a message

Post by EricWolffKnitter
Thanks for explaining that, although my forum login ID is the same one I've been submitting photos under, so I should have been findable--especially after submitting so many photos for the same place. I can't imagine no one ever noticed. But maybe that's the case.

Anyway, I just submitted YET another photo for the sake place perma-linked (kind of) above. It's named "1st & William Lot", but it doesn't seem to be clickable on the map so I couldn't permalink directly to it, but you can see it on the map if you go there.

Admittedly, it's not the best photo that I could have taken, but the app doesn't seem to want to let me take the photo at the end of navigating like it did before the upgrade, so I can't take a photo from the street anymore (like I did before). I now have to wait until traffic clears and then run out into the street and snap the picture. That's why this situation has become so frustrating. Some really great pictures have been summarily deleted and now the app seems to have changed so I probably won't be able to get the good ones again. :(

Let me know if you can see the picture and what you think. Obviously, I can't see it, but I'll try to upload a pic I took on my phone at the same time and attach it to this message so you can see what you're looking for.

Thanks again!

-Eric.
EricWolffKnitter
Send a message