Milan, MI: Street Sign differs from business address

Post by cbwierda
What should I do with this situation?

There is a User Report (Permalink) of wrong street name. From the context, this was announced by navigation at the intersection noted.

I drove this today and the sign clearly says "Carpenter Rd" which is the name the road coming into town from the north has. The road in town is "Dexter St". Some of the last Dexter St segments have "Carpenter Rd" as Alternate names.

I assume that I would change the primary name to "Carpenter Rd" and the alternate to "Dexter St" to have the TTS match the sign.

The main issue with this is that the CVS on that corner notes its address (on their website) as "1249 Dexter St". (Note that the maps associated with this information have the store on the wrong side of the highway.) I haven't gone to the county or town records to find where they have the name change, but that would not change the existing sign.

I figure I need to bring "Carpenter Rd" down to the intersection. The intersection one south does not have a sign indicating either "Dexter" or "Carpenter". My primary concern is to not create an issue for drivers aiming for one of the businesses on these changed segments.
cbwierda

POSTER_ID:14534171

Send a message
Traveller
Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Post by cbwierda
Thanks for looking into this. Sorry the permalink wasn't clearer. I'm still learning how this all works.

The problem is that I think the sign is in error. But the intersection of Arkona and Dexter/Carpenter is signed with Arkona and Carpenter. If you note that Arkona used to go straight across (or is at least plotted as such) and now swings south. If the intersection was in line with the rest of Arkona, there would be no issue.

There is no cross street signed at Kay and the next one south is signed Dexter.

What I don't know is what the client will say if the driver is supposed to turn south if the name changes at that intersection. I was thinking of splitting the marked segement (Permalink) to avoid that question and making the north half Carpenter and the south half Dexter. I would, of course, run Dexter as an alternate name to the highway.
cbwierda
Send a message
Traveller
Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Post by cbwierda
Using the MapWashtenaw link, I think I know what is going on. Doesn't change the mapping issues, but at least explains them.

If you zoom in far enough, you can see the outline of the Town Limits. The swoop of Arkona is outside of the town. However, all the buildings are in the town. The county (or township) put up the sign in question and in their system this is Carpenter. The businesses are all in Milan and have Dexter St addresses.

I also see the same thing you noted (and is consistent with the current map state) that the name Dexter runs to the highway when you click on the segment.
cbwierda
Send a message
Traveller
Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Post by the1who
Ok, phew, that took me some time to get a decent answer but I dug deep and found this: http://gisapp.ewashtenaw.org/mapwashtenaw/

It looks like according to them, that Dexter and Carpenter meet at the freeway (US 23), where Dexter is primary name south, and Carpenter is primary name north. I say that because you can right click on the map and then select what's here and you'll get Dexter to the south of the overpass and Carpenter to the north on the results list.

But if you drove it and found that the street name is marked as Carpenter to the south, I would name it there, but I would name anything further south that is Dexter as Dexter. If businesses are using Dexter, I would make sure that the alternate name is there for them and then have the addresses match where Carpenter is labeled.

I say still pretty tough call either way. It is hard for me to tell by your permalink, but I believe that by your permalink that you meant this segment it is labeled Carpenter? This Segment

If you could highlight the segment you are actually talking about where you saw it as carpenter and then get permalink, then it can become clear of where you meant. Let us know, but hope that gis link helps too.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.100

Post by the1who
Ok that makes more sense with the city limits.

I know of a highway in the state next to me that is a state/county highway, it is considered that name for most any city you go through except one, where they literally renamed the street (which is fine and all) but they only did it because of the high school off of it. The silly nuances.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.100