Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Michigan state highways

Post by mapcat
Is there any reason not to change the state highways in Michigan from the "State Highway 1" format to "M-1"? I noticed that a lot of the ramp names use the M-1 convention, since this is how everyone refers to the state highways, as do a few road segments. I'd be willing to go around the state changing the rest of the highway names unless there's an objection.
mapcat

POSTER_ID:1220993

Send a message

Post by mapcat
It is mostly correct. I have never seen this instruction generally approved, however:
wiki wrote:If the local signs change back and forth between the local name and the route number multiple times between intersections, consider making the primary name a combination of the two, something like "Main St / SR-66".
My approach has been to follow the first two instructions in the wiki. Consider the perspective of the driver in an unfamiliar place, looking for confirmation of the instructions. If told to turn left on M-21, and the signs at that intersection say only Main St, then it should be Main St with M-21 as an alternate.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
Our hope is that state-specific shields will be handled eventually.

For now let's just hope we don't get UK motorway shields all over the state.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
Definitely continue switching to the M-XX format. The little ovals are nice but not crucial. I'll check to see if they can link them to the generic shields anyway, since it seems like they're trying to get those to work now.

I've changed all State Hwy XX to M-XX north of US-10 and am going back over them all to check for missed turn restrictions.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by robc007
I will use M-number when I add highways. Sounds good to me.

Is there any guideline whether the highway number should be the general name or the alternate name? I'm seeing it done both ways. This wiki is correct? Concurrent Names
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by robc007
Also, if state highways are named a certain way, will the highway shields show up on the map? Particularly on the state freeways such as M-10 and M-14, it would be nice to have shields.
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by robc007
So would you rather stick to the local naming convention, or standardize highway names for shields?

Generic shields are fine for State highways imo.
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by sketch
I second this. I spend a lot of time in Michigan these days and everyone I ever talk to (not to mention the signs) says "M-10", "M-59", and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
I think that's good enough for a definitive answer. If anyone beats me to editing the wiki or whatever, no problem. Otherwise, I'll get to it later tonight.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
robc007 wrote:Also, if state highways are named a certain way, will the highway shields show up on the map? Particularly on the state freeways such as M-10 and M-14, it would be nice to have shields.
Not at this time.

If a rule was added to the shield generator, it would apply to all roads named "M-xx" with or without a direction. For instance, "M-10 S", "M-59 W", "M-3". Shields are not being generated based on the alt name at this time, nor would they be for primary names that included both the highway number and a local name, like "M-59 W / Hall Rd".

However, the shield generated would be a generic elliptical shield, not Michigan's diamond shield. I doubt we'll see state-specific shields anytime soon, unfortunately.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message