Post by robc007
Since we're moving toward MI-XXX for the state highways, we should be using the short format for county highways now as well.

Also, it seems we are still using local signage to determine the primary road name, so the highway number is often just an alternate name.
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by robc007
I don't think "CR" is appropriate, but I see other states using it. I just don't think anyone in Michigan would know what "CR" means. I suggest sending a PM to some of the more experienced editors in this area and asking if they would comment here.

"County Hwy 15" is a reasonable alternative to "B-15" but I would prefer the shorter version.
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by robc007
sketch wrote:Based on the signs, I would recommend "CR-B15" as the format.
Looks good to me.
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by robc007
I drove through Pellston this week and was able to extend some of the county routes for you.

Unless I'm mistaken, county routes are generally "Primary Street" and the state routes are generally "Minor Highway".

My impression is that the US routes should also be "Minor Highway" unless they are divided and limited access, etc. However, someone has made all of the US routes in northern Michigan into "Major Highway". This is something that I would like to make more consistent with southern Michigan, but my editing area isn't large enough to make any of those changes.
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by robc007
sketch wrote:That was originally how we did it here in Louisiana, but since there is no real functional difference between major and minor highways, we decided to make US highways Major and Louisiana highways Minor, essentially for display purposes.
I think MDOT has always been more in line with the "functional" depiction. On the State road map, freeways are blue, highways are red, and county routes are black. On the State website, freeways are blue, highways are orange, major roads are yellow, and minor roads are white.

Not that we have to mimic MDOT, but it's what I'm used to seeing around here.

The Waze app, on the other hand, renders major highways and freeways the same, which is a bit confusing when one is a nice big Interstate and the other is merely a surface "pass with care" road.
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by robc007
Riamus wrote:However, are you certain that West Lincoln Avenue in Cheboygan should be something other than a Street?
Fixed. I wasn't sure about that. WME automatically selected all of Riggsville Rd and I had to either extend it or back it out. :)
Riamus wrote:the County Highways (these are actual county highways rather than county roads) should be listed as Minor Highways.
I have mixed feelings about this. In my experience, the county highways are difficult to locate without local knowledge or GPS assistance. I hope we can get another opinion. sketch?
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by robc007
Thanks for the explanations. I'll upgrade those roads again tonight.

I still think it makes sense to use "primary street" on some of the more useful county roads. I've done this along the I-94 corridor west of Ann Arbor and it makes the map more informative.
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by robc007
Detroit can't afford primary streets. :}
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by robc007
I'm in the region pretty much devoid of county highways. I'm having the opposite problem down here. Some of the "primary streets" as would seem to be depicted on the State website are not paved. Most of that information is helpful, but when I find gravel roads I just set them as gravel roads. Maybe it gets plowed a bit sooner than its neighboring gravel roads in the winter, but I'm still not gonna drive on gravel. There is value in sorting this stuff out.
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by sketch
What do the signs look like?

State highways and all lesser numbered roads are considered on a state-by-state basis, according to regional usage. That's why we specifically do not have a "standard" for this -- each state has its own system, and therefore its own nomenclature. (While there may also be regional nomenclatures for US Routes and Interstate highways, these are nationwide systems, and therefore have nationwide standards.) Maybe it's easier to look at per-system rather than per-state. Either way, as long as each state's standard matches local usage and looks something like "State Hwy xx", "SR-xx", "M-xx", or "LA-xx", it should be fine. (We shouldn't spell out what can be abbreviated -- TTS will read "SR" as "State Route" -- but we also cannot abbreviate what must be spelled out -- TTS does not expand "SH" to "State Highway".)

TTS expands "CR" to "County Road", so we should maybe consider using that for the sake of brevity. Perhaps someone looking at "CR" out of context wouldn't know what it means, but in context it should be relatively easy to understand, I would think -- especially once the user hears "County Road" spoken aloud.

Before making a decision, I would want to know (1) what the signs say and (2) what street/postal addresses on these roads look like before ditching the letter. "CR-B-15" looks weird, "CR-B15" should be okay.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!