Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Riamus
robc007 wrote:I have to say, in my experience so far, the park and ride lots don't seem to do anything useful on the map.
Why not? You aren't heading to a business that has a lot where there is no need to mark it because you expect the lot to be there. Instead, the lot could be virtually anywhere around the city. They are not all very easy to find if you don't know where they are. Any lot that allows parking throughout the day regardless where you go from there should be marked, imo. It provides people who need to go to many locations to find parking lots where they are allowed to leave their car without it being towed away.

the1who: I agree. Numbered lots have value so you can find the right lot. And parking lot landmarks should never be used for businesses and strip malls and the like.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

Post by robc007
I've been using the guidelines at http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=38934

They are slightly different.
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by robc007
I have to say, in my experience so far, the park and ride lots don't seem to do anything useful on the map.
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by sketch
Those are actually two of the points in the national proposed guidelines that I have arguments against--not that I disagree entirely, but I can see it going both ways.

The water layer handles most bodies of water just fine, but they are all unnamed. I think it's nice to have named bodies of water in the landmarks layer.

Churches seem like the type of thing which merit landmarking.

Also, one exception I would make with universities: I would want to see, at least, college football stadiums landmarked separately.

Otherwise, I generally agree with the landmark guidelines proposed for the US. I do think it might look a little better --and navigation might work a little better-- if things like hospitals were mapped at the edge of the building rather than at the parking lot.

With things like naming all the police stations 'Police Dept' and all post offices 'Post Office', the benefit to this, I believe, is search. Landmark search does work, it just doesn't work well. If you search 'Post Office', you're more likely to get a landmark five hundred miles away called 'Post Office' than you are to get every single nearer post office named with a scheme like "New Orleans Post Office - 70117". We learned this with rest areas -- if you search "rest area", you'll get landmarks 800 miles away called "Rest Area" before you get any of the dozens of landmarks named by the scheme "I-65 N mile 84 Rest Area".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
There are also cases where smaller water bodies will not be included on the water layer, including many of the open drainage canals we have around New Orleans, like the one here: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-90.17 ... 49&env=usa

I added those in as landmarks a few months ago because they serve as important navigational landmark for people here. The map just doesn't look right without them.

Maybe it's not so important for small lakes or reservoirs far from roads, but any time there's a road crossing a body of water and it isn't on the map, I feel there's a problem.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Thanks. I added a link to the OP.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by the1who
Parking lots at places like airports that are numbered, or sporting arenas/stadiums that are numbered, park and ride lots should be mapped. I might have missed one or two there, but all other lots should be deleted. I have had an issue here in my area where parking lots were added left and right for strip malls and convenience stores. I might have missed something there or so but that is my basic thoughts late in the night on it there.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.99

Post by the1who
For the record, I worked with Hy-Vee to coordinate the triathlon event this weekend. I created a so called temporary parking lot with Hy-Vee triathlon parking in the name. It so far has been searchable across livemap and the client, give it a try if you like. I also created the numbered economy parking lot at Des Moines and KC international. The lots are searchable and for here in KC most know where to go park for the one of three terminals. I navigates you right to it for the regular traveler. I have used it twice this year, really handy. So when it comes that all become searchable, someone wanting to find the nearest park and ride would benefit.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 4
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.99