Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Road classification update

Post by
This is just an update to let other editors know where we are at with updating the road classifications in northern Michigan, including updating the County Highway System. Please note that these are set to the minimum standard for each road type. There may be instances where they should really be a higher classification, but without being able to directly check these areas myself, I can't be certain of that. So although these are complete, there may still need to be some upgrading of roads to a higher classification beyond where they are now.
  • All area C county highways are complete.
  • All area F county highways are completed except: F18 and F19 down near Prescott (outside of my area), and F97 from St. Helen south (outside my area). If anyone can finish those, that would be helpful.
  • One area H county highway has been started in St. Ignace. I haven't done any other area H county highways and can't finish that one as it goes outside my area.
  • All arterials and collectors north of Roscommon are completed up to St. Ignace. This includes all areas from Lake Michigan to Lake Huron.
This should greatly improve routing throughout northern Michigan. More work is still needed throughout the rest of the state. For any editors who want to help with the classification of collectors and arterials, please see this for information on the NFC classifications. All collectors (yellow and orange lines) should be at least Primary Street, but can be higher if needed. All principal arterials (red lines) should be at least Major Highway. And the rest of the arterials (green lines) should be at least Minor Highways. In addition, all shielded County Highways should be at least Minor Highway. Note that this includes only shielded county highways - these all begin with a letter between A and H, followed by 2 numbers. Other county roads, such those in the format of County Road XXX are not included as they are not shielded roads. One resource for the County Highway System is here, though there are other resources that can provide better detail. You can also verify the routes using Street View and looking for the signs. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Other work that is desperately needed throughout northern Michigan and perhaps other areas in the state includes correctly setting road direction and turn restrictions. Both of these are very often incorrect/incomplete and can have a large impact on the ability to route someone correctly. There is more to do as well, but road classification, road direction, and turn restrictions have the largest impact in properly routing traffic. There are also a number of missing roads from new construction that need to be added.

POSTER_ID:15432741

Send a message
Last edited by Riamus on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post by Binky71
Hey guys, I just started changing some of the road classifications back before I found this thread.

The thing that confuses me is that these guidelines don't match the guidelines in the Wiki. Did somebody "on high" decide we're doing this? Why don't we update the Wiki if it's out of date?
Binky71
Send a message
Rank 4 Editor

Post by Binky71
Cool. I'll start using these new standards immediately. But as you probably realize, many editors just go off the Wiki, with little to no reference to these forums. There will be lots of knashing of teeth in the near future.
Binky71
Send a message
Rank 4 Editor

Post by Binky71
I've been working on Oakland County, but all are welcome to help. You won't hurt my feelings.

I've noticed that in the night mode, some divided "Major Highway" roads don't looks so super in the app. For instance, the seprate, divided travel lanes of Long Lake Rd in Troy are lost and it looks like one giant road.
Binky71
Send a message
Rank 4 Editor

Post by Boiler_81
I think it would be helpful if we coordinated editing the Detroit metro area. If people would list in this thread the areas they have edited and are working on it would help us from bumping into one another and analyzing areas which have already been done.
Boiler_81
Send a message

Post by Boiler_81
OK, I will also update them as I find them. Thanks for all the work done so far. I hope it results iin better routes.
Boiler_81
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:I wasn't sure if that live map not loading thing was just me. The WiFi I'm on can be pretty unreliable. Oh well.
I'm having the same problem looking at New Orleans on the livemap. What's odd is that its the only place in the country that is not loading for me. Everywhere else where that I've tried panning to and zooming in on loads just fine. I think all those major highways have broken the livemap. ;)
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
The effect of road type on instructions has been in place for quite some time. Its been documented here: https://www.waze.com/wiki/How_Waze_dete ... _maneuvers There are certainly nuances that aren't in that write up like the inability of waze to give exit left instructions in right hand drive jurisdictions, but it gives the basics. There have been complaints for some time regarding exit instruction when bearing off of highway road types. You can avoid this by making the angle of deflection over 45 degrees to induce a turn instruction instead.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by davielde
I've started extending the NFC work to Washtenaw county as well.

EDIT: Washtenaw has all of the NFC principal arterials listed as major highways with the exception of two routes:
1) Could someone change Ford Rd from M-14 to Telegraph since a portion is locked and I don't have access to most of that road anyway?
2) There are a few segments near the intersection of State and Ellsworth that are locked.
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
From what I experienced in the Ann Arbor area after upgrading to match NFC classifications, the ability to find alternate routes has improved. The only routing oddity that has come about so far was being told to "exit" off a principal arterial that has now been reclassified as a major highway. Since the arterial is not a limited access highway, it may be misleading for users who are expecting to "turn" instead of exit. In this case, I was "exiting" onto I-94.
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan