Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by karlcr9911
nlevake wrote:
karlcr9911 wrote:@nlevake

This was a requirement from Apple that if an on-board navigation system is used/recognized, that it will take priority and Waze must stop providing navigation. If Google Maps has somehow gotten around this, not sure how but Waze devs said they were specifically prevented from doing this.
What about the Apple Maps itself? That works and overrides the on-board. Well, that's great.
Apple has that option within CarPlay but they do still have limitations on 3rd party nav apps even though they have opened up CarPlay to them.
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by karlcr9911
PaulieORF wrote: Wouldn't this pretty much render Waze completely useless in CarPlay for the vast majority of cars? Most cars that have CarPlay also have a built-in navigation system. The fact that this is not a problem for Google Maps or Apple Maps tells me that this is more likely a misinterpretation by the Waze developers than it is a requirement by Apple.
No - because pretty much no one uses their in-car navigation system. But if that is chosen or Apple Maps is being used, it trumps Gmaps or Waze per the CarPlay guidelines Waze was given.
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by karlcr9911
doeroo wrote:Great start on Carplay! Here are my comments for the next update compared to GoogleMap recently updated as well. I am using on an Honda Odyssey 2018.

1. Resize the screen. Screen resolution is quite small. Font size is too big. So the information & driving area showing up around is pretty restricted. GoodMap is good so this is not a problem in my physical screen size.
2. Speedometer is missed.
3. Move speed limit sign to the left bottom: right above time information box. Current top right is too far to see from a driver.
4. Slide up the top destination box automatically when is not in use. The box does not disappear unless I input a destination so that the screen size gets small too much.
5. Move car position (arrow in default) to left a little bit. I know there is a time&mile info. box in left-bottom but, think that car position can be moved closer to the center.
6. Add quick avoidance (toll, highway, ferry, U-turn etc.) setting menu

Hope to see the better waze for the next upgrade.

Thanks!
1. Screen resolution is defined by the in-dash system. Waze is going to work on making this better but they won't ultimately be able to make it 100% functional with every possible resolution that exists between all vehicles and after-market head units.

2. This is just version 1 of the release for CarPlay.

3. Speed limit sign probably won't move. It's not much further of a glance to see it where it is vs moving it to the bottom left where information is already displayed.

4. Can pass along the suggestion.

5. This operates just like other CarPlay maps with using the right half of the screen for the vehicle icon to make sure it doesn't get hidden by anything else or when the map is turning.

6. This is just version 1 of the release for CarPlay...additional features will be added in future releases.
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by karlcr9911
MatoRV wrote:
karlcr9911 wrote:Official feedback thread for v4.43.4 w/ Apple CarPlay support.
Hi karlcr9911, If you don´t mind, I'll ask you some questions ....

The voice search command does not appear in Carplay. All the users that I know in Argentina have the same problem, even if we have activated the command in the configuration.

We also do not have the option to add a stop on the route. It only appears on the cell phone, which ends up functioning as a pleasing screen.

Can Waze make these restrictions for different countries?
I am surprised that here in Argentina it has fewer functions than in the USA.

Last question: why does the version for Carplay have no map error reports and Android Auto does?

Thanks for your reply and regards
Voice search from CarPlay is only available to English-speaking countries currently.
Adding a stop is not yet an option within CarPlay.

All the functionality within the app will never be available in CarPlay but more and more features will be released. This is just version 1.
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by karlcr9911
VorapojP wrote:Hi, I just tried Waze on Carplay for 2 days now. I tested on my and my wife phones, looked like it made phones really hot and location seem a little bit delay, not like when I use Apple or Google maps. Did anyone get this problem? I would like to use Waze but I don't want my phone battery die sooner than expected.
No issues at all with that on an iPhone X and alpha & beta testing the app for the last few months. My phone stays plugged in as that is the only way to use CarPlay (except for a few after-market head units that allow for it to work untethered). So, my battery is not impacted since I'm tethered and it's charging.
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by karlcr9911
t-bomb wrote:
PaulieORF wrote:
karlcr9911 wrote:@nlevake

This was a requirement from Apple that if an on-board navigation system is used/recognized, that it will take priority and Waze must stop providing navigation. If Google Maps has somehow gotten around this, not sure how but Waze devs said they were specifically prevented from doing this.
Wouldn't this pretty much render Waze completely useless in CarPlay for the vast majority of cars? Most cars that have CarPlay also have a built-in navigation system. The fact that this is not a problem for Google Maps or Apple Maps tells me that this is more likely a misinterpretation by the Waze developers than it is a requirement by Apple.
I agree... makes no sense. So, how is Waze with Carplay working in some cars and not others and how did Google Maps get around it?! Can Waze somehow utilize the car's GPS signal? I never run the car's nav - it's there but I don't set any routes. Something is very wrong here.
Waze is using the vehicles GPS. I just asked staff again and they confirmed they were told by Apple that two map apps cannot be running simultaneously and the in-vehicle nav or Apple Maps would take precedence over Waze. They are going to confirm again with Apple but that is why Waze is behaving the way it is...working as designed.
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by karlcr9911
Hmm, not sure...unless they snuck it in. I haven't seen that yet. I'll have to test it out this evening when I leave the office.
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by karlcr9911
PaulieORF wrote: The part that doesn't make sense is that Waze does not work in the Rogue under any circumstances. The built-in navigation is not being used, Apple Maps is not being used. I fire up Waze and it says no GPS. I close that and open up Google Maps and it works just fine.
I passed that on to Waze staff. Can you please submit logs and advise your exact car model?
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by karlcr9911
No but it sounds like you can easily recreate the issue so turn on debug mode (search in the app 2##2). Start the app again and then once you see the GPS issue message, submit your logs. Please let me know the exact year & model of car so staff can try and recreate the issue.
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by karlcr9911
This is a known issue and hotfixes should be pushed out to the AppStore today/tomorrow to fix the crashes for these older devices/OS'.

Edit: It's actually there now. Either update or uninstall/reinstall.
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message