These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by mrpnutts
Quick feedback for version 4.43.4.5 on iOS12.
  • Like the other requests, please bring back the current speed display. Due to oversized tires, the speed displayed on my phone is more accurate than my truck's speedometer.
  • Scrolling is poor - JVC KW-M730BT. I blame my head unit but it is what it is. User experience is poor scrolling the map.
  • I miss not being able to get to other screens while navigating but I'll get used to it.
mrpnutts
Send a message

Post by mswieder
Used CarPlay in my 2018 Mazda yesterday for the first time and enjoyed it. One thing that I couldn't figure out - when I'm driving, how do I use voice commands to see the alternate routes and select one? I want to keep my hands on the wheel (I believe that's part of the point of CarPlay). While driving with Waze active, when I hit the button on my wheel that activates Siri and say "show alternate routes" Siri asks me where I'm going. But I already have a destination - I just want to see the alternate routes and to pick one.

thanks!

Apologies if this was asked and answered - I didn't see it.
mswieder
Send a message

Post by mswieder
pcardoza wrote:While CarPlay allows Waze to display on your head unit, Siri integration is not part of it at this time.
That's a bummer. Mazda disables the touch screen while the car is moving, so there really isn't a way to check/change alternate routes without a serious risk of crashing until they add it.
mswieder
Send a message

Post by mswieder
mswieder wrote:
pcardoza wrote:While CarPlay allows Waze to display on your head unit, Siri integration is not part of it at this time.
That's a bummer. Mazda disables the touch screen while the car is moving, so there really isn't a way to check/change alternate routes without a serious risk of crashing until they add it.
Anyone from Waze comment on when you guys will add this support?
mswieder
Send a message

Post by mswieder
The issue isn’t that the screen is disabled - that’s a safety feature I agree with. The issue is that Waze isn’t integrated with voice commands that can be used in CarPlay to check alternate routes. That’s a Waze issue, no?
mswieder
Send a message

Post by mswieder
karlcr9911 wrote:Yes, that would be a Waze item for consideration...not something I've heard them discuss as being anywhere on the roadmap currently. And since you can check them on your phone still (I know it's not handsfree but the idea is you're checking routes prior to being mobile), not sure it's something they would even use development hours for at this point...happy to pass it along though.
Especially on long drives, its critical to be able to check alternate routes while driving. Without the voice integration, there isn't a way to do it while driving without seriously risking a crash. Not sure why this wouldn't be prioritized. It's a major gap IMO.
mswieder
Send a message

Post by mswieder
nuclearxp wrote:
karlcr9911 wrote:Yes, that would be a Waze item for consideration...not something I've heard them discuss as being anywhere on the roadmap currently. And since you can check them on your phone still (I know it's not handsfree but the idea is you're checking routes prior to being mobile), not sure it's something they would even use development hours for at this point...happy to pass it along though.
I have submitted this internally as a feature request. For some reason the app team does not consider voice support in CarPlay feature parity as when using just the app on the phone w/o CarPlay. Right now traction is slow as the weighted priority of suggestion is not getting enough votes so I'll have to keep monitoring it.
Thanks. I think the lack of voice support is a huge hole and makes it dangerous to use Waze w/CarPlay while driving.
mswieder
Send a message

Post by mswieder
PhantomSoul wrote:Also, I'm not sure Waze's voice assistant is available at all while using Waze with CarPlay. Fully-native support for Waze's voice assistant is probably difficult to implement because of all kinds of conflicts that would cause with Apple's Siri. It's unlikely Apple will allow Siri to be disabled in CarPlay, since that would defeat some CarPlay-critical functionality outside of Waze (think voice interactions with text-messages, one of CarPlay's biggest selling points). It's also unlikely that Apple will allow some kind of voice cue to an unrestricted hand-off to a 3rd-party app, such as "Hey Siri, tell Waze to..." - from a platform-security standpoint, if nothing else.
Apple allows exactly that and many 3rd party apps, including Uber, Pinterest and, since we're talking about CarPlay, WhatsApp all take advantage of it. Waze has not done so yet and that's what's needed for proper CarPlay integration.
mswieder
Send a message

Post by Mvan231
amyylouise wrote:I was using Waze today and once I knew where I was going, I stopped navigation to save data.
A few minutes later, a red light alert popped up. This obviously alerted me to the fact that Waze was still running in the background even though I had stopped navigation and switched to a different app on CarPlay. Now I know why I flew through my data last month!
Is there a way to stop Waze from running in the background on Apple CarPlay?
The only way to do this is to actually "Power Off" Waze from the menu in the app. If you merely stop the navigation or leave the app and switch to another app, it stays running in the background so it can help contribute data. Depending on your plan size, I would be surprised if Waze was the culprit of your high data usage. I use Waze everyday to and from work (25 miles each way) also on my long drives a few times a month (4+ hours each way) and usually only reach around 300-400 MB of data usage each month from Waze.
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor
Wazeopedia :lol: | Engineer :geek: | iOS user :)

https://s.waze.tools/c3.png

Post by Mvan231
amyylouise wrote:
Mvan231 wrote:
amyylouise wrote:I was using Waze today and once I knew where I was going, I stopped navigation to save data.
A few minutes later, a red light alert popped up. This obviously alerted me to the fact that Waze was still running in the background even though I had stopped navigation and switched to a different app on CarPlay. Now I know why I flew through my data last month!
Is there a way to stop Waze from running in the background on Apple CarPlay?
The only way to do this is to actually "Power Off" Waze from the menu in the app. If you merely stop the navigation or leave the app and switch to another app, it stays running in the background so it can help contribute data. Depending on your plan size, I would be surprised if Waze was the culprit of your high data usage. I use Waze everyday to and from work (25 miles each way) also on my long drives a few times a month (4+ hours each way) and usually only reach around 300-400 MB of data usage each month from Waze.
Thanks! I checked how much data Waze has been using and it wasn't even the culprit lol

Good news! I was guessing that would be the case. I've seen some rare occasion when Waze goes haywire, but that was a longgggg time ago. Glad you were able to figure it out :)

Out of curiosity, was it iCloud Drive syncing?
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor
Wazeopedia :lol: | Engineer :geek: | iOS user :)

https://s.waze.tools/c3.png