| The new Waze Wiki, aka Wazeopedia, is now live at Wazeopedia.waze.com! While this legacy wiki will remain accessible for the time being, it is no longer updated by the community. For the most up-to-date guidance, please visit your local Wazeopedia.
Please do not make any more updates to these legacy wiki pages, all future updates should be made in your country's local Wazeopedia.
Minimum Acceptable Information
All Places added to the map must contain the following entries:
- Proper Category
- Place Name
- Address (including address numbers)
- Placed in the correct location on the map
This is the minimum acceptable amount of information for inclusion on the map.
If a phone number is entered in the Place information, please utilize either of the following formats:
- (###) ###-####
Please correct the layout of any phone numbers you encounter while editing.
|PLACE TYPE||LOCK LEVEL|
|Military Installation / Airport||4|
|Hospitals / Urgent Care / Police & Fire Dept||4|
|National & State Parks and Monuments||4|
|Gas Stations / Charging Stations||3|
|Schools / Universities / Colleges||3|
|Government Buildings / Consulates||3|
|MBTA Subway and Commuter Rail Stations||3|
|City and Local Parks||2|
- All Places that have complete information (to include, at a minimum, address/city, hours of operation, phone number) are to be locked at Level 2. This is to prevent loss of data due to automatic acceptance of Place Update submissions from Trusted Users, or Place Update Request approvals from other editors without careful examination.
- If you do not have a high enough enough rank to lock the place as indicated, please lock it as high as you can, and notify a higher rank AM, SM, CM, or Champ to lock it higher.
- Boston Place Browser - In combination with the Place Name Harmonization list, this is an invaluable tool for working on existing places. Be sure to click the About tab to get an overview of the tool.
Place Name Harmonization
In an effort to standardize Place Names, Massachusetts uses the following list of Common names. Please note the appropriate category name, as well as the listed spelling. This is necessary for the proper display of any advertising associated with the site (i.e. SUBWAY discounts)
For instance, if you are mapping a shopping center, this means that you map the area to cover the shopping center buildings, and the parking lots out to the outer ring road (if applicable). If there is no ring road, or for smaller shopping centers, map to the curb line.
If you are mapping a school, you would map out to the fence line (if visible) or to a reasonable distance from the school. Contact a AM, SM, CM, or Champ for assistance.
Hospitals / Urgent Care
Set the Stop Point over the Main Entrance to the facility. Additionally, map the Emergency Entrance with the same category name, but place it over the Emergency entrance location. ERs encompassed in a hospital Place Area should be Points, and named in the following fashion: E.R. - Hospital Name
Places which are part of a larger encompassing place (i.e. place points for lot in a university area, Separate ER entrances in a hospital area, etc.) should be named with their unique name followed by a hyphen and the name of the larger area they belong to. For example "E.R. - Generic Medical Center"
The Parking Lot Place marks a well-defined area constructed for off-street public parking, including parking structures and garages as well as at-grade lots. There are many elements that must be considered before deciding to map a parking lot. Currently, the details are covered in Places/Parking lot.
Unless you have permission from the State Manager, please only map the following types of parking lots:
- Public parking lots (Indicate that they are public lots in the description)
- Named lots around an arena/theater/venue (advise SM when you do these)
- Park and Ride lots/structures
- MBTA Parking Structures/lots
Surburban MBTA parking structures should be mapped as Parking Lots, with the additional categories of "Train Station" (or "Subway Station" if appropriate) and "Transportation" added. However, the Area should only cover the parking lot/garage, and not the actual station and platform.