This page serves as the primary resource for editors of Missouri. Review all the sections to better understand how the guidelines for this state might deviate from the overall USA or worldwide guidelines. If you have any comments or questions about this page or state refer to the community links below.
No general message at this time.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Mapping resources
- 3 Community
- 4 Cities and towns
- 5 Major roads
- 6 Special roads
- 7 Closures
- 8 Places
- 9 Cameras
- 10 To do list
- 11 Area Managers
- 12 Other states and territories
- 13 About this page
Missouri is a part of the Plains region, which includes the states and/or territories of:
Before editing the maps in Missouri, be sure to fully review and understand the editing manual.
The Waze user community follows the Waze etiquette guidelines discussed in the Wiki. Be sure to familiarize yourself with these guiding principals while editing the maps and this Wiki, as well as when communicating with other Waze users.
State and Local Map & GIS Information
For mapping and GIS system resources, go to Missouri/Resources.
The Waze forum is a great place to find answers to previously asked questions and also a place to ask new ones. Below are links to the forums specific to Missouri.
- Missouri section of Waze forum
- The Plains region forum
- The USA section of Waze Forum
- The USA segment unlock requests
New editors should consider checking into the formal mentoring program available at no charge.
Missouri Map Editors Hangout
We have a Google+ Hangout available for all those editing in Missouri. Here editors can discuss issues and ideas from around the state and seek input from fellow Missouri editors. If you would like to join please send a PM to BlueTiger68 and include your Gmail address to be added.
More information about Google+ Hangouts can be found here: Google+ Hangouts
Cities and towns
One of the most common errors when editing the maps is when an editor creates a road and does not confirm the road by setting the city and road name (or stating it has none).
Some states and territories manage a separate page on cities and towns to identify the specific city names that should be entered, and no others. For states that do not have a separate page to track the names, see this Wikipedia link and find the state or territory in question.
Missouri Highway Types
Missouri has two types of state highways: primary (numbered) and supplementary (lettered). The table below shows the minimum classification for state highways. These are only minimums and may need to be upgraded based on the Functional Classification or the qualities defined on the USA road type Wiki page.
|MO Hwy Type||Waze Road Type|
State Highway Naming
Missouri primary numbered highways are named as MO-### (e.g. MO-13, MO-7 N). This includes their related business, loops, and spurs. (e.g. MO-13 BUS)
Missouri supplementary lettered highways are named as SH-xx. (e.g. SH-AA) This will pronounce via TTS as "State Highway A A".
County Road Naming
County roads with the name designation of "County Road ###" are named as CR-### (e.g. CR-110). This shortened version takes up less space on the map screen and is announced correctly as "County Road ###" while navigating with the Waze app.
Farm Road Naming
Farm roads with the name designation of "Farm Road ###" are named as FR-### (e.g. FR-110). This shortened version takes up less space on the map screen and is announced correctly as "Farm Road ###" while navigating with the Waze app.
Missouri follows the Functional Classification (FC) system for the USA. Base minimum road types in the Waze editor according to the MoDOT Highway Functional Classification Maps along with guidance from the USA road type guidelines.
The table below shows a cross reference for the minimum road types in Missouri. Keep in mind that these are only minimums, and may need to be upgraded based on the qualities defined on the USA road type guidelines.
|MODOT Classification||Waze Road Type|
In Missouri we have a set minimum standard for locking roads based on segment type. Any road of a certain segment type must be locked at least to the rank (level) in the chart below. Roads may be locked higher for protection and special situations (areas with construction, tricky design, frequent mistakes, imaging inaccuracies, and the like), but should not be locked lower.
A great time to implement these locks is while bringing the road types of an area into compliance with the current US road type standards (FC and highway systems). Lock the roads based on type after they've been set to current US road type standards.
Missouri follows the standard USA guidelines for all of the following special road types.
- Divided highways and roadways
- Carpool, HOV, Transit lanes
- Roundabouts and traffic circles
- Dirt roads
- Toll roads
- Partial and scheduled restrictions
- Private installations and military bases
Review the Wiki guidelines for non-drivable roads to ensure compliance with the general guidelines.
As a general rule, alleys should not be mapped. They clutter the map and can cause routing issues. If alleys are mapped (e.g. St. Louis area), the road type should be set as Parking Lot Road and given a name of "Alley". Other attributes (city, direction, turn restrictions) should be set as if it were any other drivable road.
MoDOT construction updates and major project information can be found on the MoDOT Plans and Projects Page.
Real-time active closures and construction information can also be found on the MoDOT Traveler Information Page.
Hospitals / Urgent Care
Only Hospitals, Emergency Rooms, and Urgent Care Facilities should use the Hospital / Medical Center category. This category is to be used for places offering urgent / emergency care. Other medical facilities such as clinics and medical offices which do not offer urgent medical care for walk-ins should be categorized as Office. Hospitals should be mapped as an Area Place encompassing the entire medical facility. Additionally, hospital Emergency Room entrances should be mapped as a Point Place at the ER entrance to aid in navigating to the proper entrance.
Not all parking lots should be mapped. Generally a Parking Lot Place marks a well-defined area constructed for off-street public parking, including parking structures and garages as well as at-grade lots. There are many elements that must be considered before deciding to map a parking lot. Dedicated parking lots for businesses, stores, places of employment, apartment complexes, etc. that are utilized for those specific locations are not to be mapped. Guidelines for parking lots are covered in the Places/Parking Lot wiki.
Places Minimum Acceptable Information
All Places added to the map must contain the following entries:
- Proper Category
- Place Name
- Address (including address numbers)
- Placed in the correct location on the map
This is the minimum acceptable amount of information for inclusion on the map.
Places Locking Standard
|Place Type||Lock Level|
|Military Installation / Airport||4|
|Hospitals / Urgent Care / Police & Fire Dept||4|
|National & State Parks and Monuments||4|
|Gas Stations / Charging Stations||3|
|Schools / Universities / Colleges||3|
|Government Buildings / Consulates||3|
|City and Local Parks||2|
|All other places with complete information||2|
- Complete information includes at a minimum:
- Proper Category
- Place Name
- Address/City (including address numbers)
- Placed in the correct location on the map
- Hours of operation (if available)
- Phone number
- These locks are in place to prevent loss of data due to automatic acceptance of Place Update submissions from Trusted Users, or Place Update Request approvals from other editors without careful examination.
- If you do not have a high enough enough rank to lock the place as indicated, please lock it as high as you can, and notify a higher rank AM, SM, CM, or Champ to lock it higher.
Not every camera-looking device at an intersection is a speed or red light camera. Generally speaking:
Be sure to know your cameras before accepting new camera reports.
Currently only the Waze client app can add cameras to the map. When adding a camera from the app, be sure to review the camera placement recommendations.
Laws regarding speed and red light cameras vary between the states and territories, so be sure to understand the details of camera legality in Missouri.
Based on information researched at the time this page was created, red light and speed cameras are permitted statewide in Missouri.
No other camera types should be mapped in Waze.
- Although speed and red light cameras are permitted in Missouri, at the time of this update there are pending Missouri Supreme Court cases regarding the legality of them and how they are used. This topic will need to be watched and updated accordingly when resolved.
- Currently, I have taken affirmative action and deleted all the red light cameras we had in the KC metro area. Due to indefinite terms of when or even if the cameras would come back online, I felt it was not necessary to keep alerting users to what is now, dummy cameras. Since they are inactive and currently disabled, I felt it was not necessary to keep erroneously warning users of cameras that aren't even of legal bounds at this moment. Until further rulings and general public vote on different bills, I feel this is the best action to serve the Waze users in this area and they can better focus on other situations that come up instead. I hope you understand my position on this and why I have done this. I would do this for the rest of the state, but figured the bigger impact right now is the larger metro areas. STL might be included in this decision after further AM/SM/RC discussions. Thanks for your cooperation and you can always send me a message if you need more clarification on this. -the1who
Other Camera Types
These are cameras or signs that either provide driver feedback or are used for traffic control. These devices CAN NOT issue tickets and SHOULD NOT be mapped.
- Non-camera "driver feedback signs" are a radar/laser equipped sign that measures speed and displays the speed back to the driver. These can be fixed or trailer mounted with the later being much more prevalent.
- There are also cameras mounted on traffic signals that are used as part of the signal control. These compare sequential images of the intersection approach to determine if there is a vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, etc) waiting and will trigger the sequence.
- There are traditional traffic monitoring cameras covering most of the major highways in the state. These send live video to MODOT & local media and serve ONLY as a traffic monitoring system.
To do list
Many states and territories keep an active list of pending or closed actions that need to be done in the state by the editors. All editors are welcome to contribute to the list of activities.
This state does not currently have an active "to do" list at this time. Check in the Missouri section of the Waze forums to discuss creating one.
The table below identifies the editors also designated as Area Managers or higher who are editing in Missouri. If you have any questions, please consider contacting them directly as needed. If you are an Area Manager that covers Missouri, or a USA Country Manager that does a lot of work in Missouri, please add yourself to this list (alphabetical by username) in the correct rank section.
The editor who also serves as the Regional Coordinator for Missouri is automatically listed at the top of the table. That editor may not be highly active in this state and therefore may not be listed separately in the table.
|Missouri — Area, State and Country Managers|
Regional Coordinator(s): the1who ( )
| Country Managers (Plains region)|
|Bigbear3764(5) [ ]||Available statewide|| |
|bretmcvey(5) [ ]||Countrywide|| |
Based in Omaha, NE
|State Managers (Plains region)|
|BlueTiger68(4) [ ]||Statewide|| |
Resident of state
| Area Managers |
|ggrane(5) [ ]||Columbia|| |
|SteveInArk(5) [ ]||MO bootheel, SW MO|| |
Live just south of Ark line
|BlueTiger68(4) [ ]||SW Missouri|| |
Resident of the State
|SkydiveMO(4) [ ]||St. Louis, Hannibal, Cape Girardeau|| |
|autenil(3) [ ]||KC Metro|| |
Grew up here, now based in SoCal
|Eaglestailg8ter(3) [ ]||Independence/Blue Springs|| |
PA based,family in MO
|garmsey(3) [ ]||Arnold|| |
|jcump14(3) [ ]||NW Missouri|| |
Resident of the State
|KC-Guardrail(3) [ ]||KC Metro|| |
Lives in Bonner Springs KS
|seyahmit(3) [ ]||O'Fallon, St. Charles|| |
|thecrabnicholson(2) [ ]||St. Louis|| |
Resident of the State
Other states and territories
About this page