This page serves as the primary resource for editors of Oregon. Review all the sections to better understand how the guidelines for this state might deviate from the overall USA or worldwide guidelines. If you have any comments or questions about this page or state refer to the community links below.
No general message at this time.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Mapping resources
- 3 Community
- 4 Cities and towns
- 5 Major roads
- 6 Special roads
- 7 Closures
- 8 Places
- 9 Cameras
- 10 To do list
- 11 Area Managers
- 12 Other states and territories
- 13 About this page
Oregon is a part of the Northwest region, which includes the states and/or territories of:
Before editing the maps in Oregon, be sure to fully review and understand the editing manual.
The Waze user community follows the Waze etiquette guidelines discussed in the Wiki. Be sure to familiarize yourself with these guiding principals while editing the maps and this Wiki, as well as when communicating with other Waze users.
Oregon follows the Functional Classification (FC) system for both state and non-state roads. This change from the previous road-typing guidance was changed in September 2014.
- Oregon Department of Transporation (ODOT) homepage
- ODOT Map-based project tracker
- Oregon Route to Highway Cross Reference
- ODOT Digital Video Log (DVL)
- Oregon highway summary by Route shows you all the Oregon highways which comprise state and US routes.
- ODOT TransGIS can be used to view all manner of roadway attributes, including Functional Classification. To view functional classifications, go to Display->Layer Catalog->Highway Classifications. Select both/either State and Non-State.
- ODOT Trucking Restrictions Good resource for scheduled freeway & highway closures. Updated daily.
- Oregon Zipcode Map from ZipMap.net
- State Highways in Oregon on wikipedia
- ODOT Updates via email
- US and Oregon Routes Descriptions (talks about where routes go, as compared to Oregon highways
- Gilliam County GIS (Provided by Lane County)
- Hood River
- Lake County GIS (Provided by Lane County)
- Malheur County Taxlot Map (Click on the taxlot then More Info to open address map PDF)
- Wallowa County Tax Lot Map (Inoperable)
The Waze forum is a great place to find answers to previously asked questions and also a place to ask new ones. Below are links to the forums specific to Oregon.
- Oregon section of Waze forum
- The Northwest region forum
- The USA section of Waze Forum
- The USA segment unlock requests
New editors should consider checking into the formal mentoring program available at no charge.
Cities and towns
One of the most common errors when editing the maps is when an editor creates a road and does not confirm the road by setting the city and road name (or stating it has none).
Cities with population > 5000.
- Portland (Clackamas, Multnomah, Washington County)
- Eugene, Lane County
- Salem (Marion, Polk)
- Gresham, Multnomah County
- Beaverton, Washington County
- Hillsboro, Washington County
- Medford, Jackson County
- Springfield, Lane County
- Bend, Deschutes County
- Corvallis, Benton County
- Aloha CDP, Washington County
- Tigard, Washington County
- Albany (Benton, Linn)
- Lake Oswego (Clackamas, Multnomah, Washington)
- Keizer, Marion County
- McMinnville, Yamhill County
- Oregon City, Clackamas County
- Grants Pass, Josephine County
- Tualatin (Clackamas, Washington)
- West Linn, Clackamas County
- Milwaukie (Clackamas, Multnomah)
- Woodburn, Marion County
- Roseburg, Douglas County
- Altamont CDP, Klamath County
- Ashland, Jackson County
- Klamath Falls, Klamath County
- Hayesville CDP, Marion County
- Newberg, Yamhill County
- Forest Grove, Washington County
- Pendleton, Umatilla County
- Oatfield CDP, Clackamas County
- Coos Bay, Coos County
- Wilsonville (Clackamas, Washington )
- Four Corners CDP, Marion County
- Troutdale, Multnomah County
- Redmond, Deschutes County
- Hermiston, Umatilla County
- Lebanon, Linn County
- Oak Grove CDP, Clackamas County
- Canby, Clackamas County
- Cedar Mill CDP, Washington County
- Central Point, Jackson County
- Dallas, Polk County
- La Grande, Union County
- The Dalles, Wasco County
- Sherwood, Washington County
- Gladstone, Clackamas County
- Ontario, Malheur County
- St. Helens, Columbia County
- Baker, Baker County
- Astoria, Clatsop County
- Cornelius, Washington County
- North Bend, Coos County
- Newport, Lincoln County
- Rockcreek CDP, Washington County
- Oak Hills CDP, Washington County
- Cedar Hills CDP, Washington County
- Cottage Grove, Lane County
- Sweet Home, Linn County
- Monmouth, Polk County
- Fairview, Multnomah County
- Lincoln, Lincoln County
- Silverton, Marion County
- Prineville, Crook County
- Florence, Lane County
- West Haven-Sylvan CDP, Washington County
- Jennings Lodge CDP, Clackamas County
- Garden Home-Whitford CDP, Washington County
- Stayton, Marion County
- Sunnyside CDP, Clackamas County
- Sutherlin, Douglas County
- Milton-Freewater, Umatilla County
- West Slope CDP, Washington County
- Green CDP, Douglas County
- Independence, Polk County
- Seaside, Clatsop County
- Raleigh Hills CDP, Washington County
- Redwood CDP, Josephine County
- Hood River, Hood River County
- La Pine CDP, Deschutes County
- Molalla, Clackamas County
- Talent, Jackson County
- Roseburg North CDP, Douglas County
- White CDP, Jackson County
- Brookings, Curry County
- Sandy, Clackamas County
- Clackamas CDP, Clackamas County
- Madras, Jefferson County
The purpose of the Oregon Major Roads page is to inform map editors on what is being worked on or is completed in the State of Oregon, as well as what is planned according to ODOT or other cities as we find out about them.
Oregon follows the standard USA guidelines for all of the following special road types.
- Divided highways and roadways
- Carpool, HOV, Transit lanes
- Roundabouts and traffic circles
- Toll roads
- Partial and scheduled restrictions
- Private installations and military bases
Review the Wiki guidelines for non-drivable roads to ensure compliance with the general guidelines.
Guidelines that vary by state or territory
The following special roads are managed slightly uniquely in some states and territories. This state uses the following standard guidelines found in the Wiki.
This section contains details about road closures currently in place in Waze, usually through disconnecting of segments to prevent Waze from routing along a certain stretch of road. If you perform a closure in Waze, please document it here so other area managers can ensure the roads are reconnected at the appropriate time.
|Road Name||Editor||Closed Date||Est Open Date||Links and comments|
|Old McKenzie Pass Hwy OR242||AlanOfTheBerg||2015-11||2016-07||
Both gates closed for the winter. Heavy snowfall will likely keep the highway closed well into the summer.
KEEP THE FOLLOWING FOR FUTURE REFERENCE:
Area Places for the closure gates should be large in the winter for better app visibility. Shrink the area in the summer.
Future New or Realigned Roads
Large road construction projects often have website project pages and give notice to the public prior to starting. If we stage these roads in Waze and have them ready to deploy when they open to the public, Waze will be a leader in update map providers.
|Road Or Project Name||Est Compl Date||Links and comments|
|I-5 @ Exit 24 Fern Valley Interchange (Phoenix)||April 2014 - 2016||The Fern Valley interchange is expected to be constructed using a 'crossing' or 'diverging diamond' design that provides a higher capacity to move traffic while requiring lower right-of-way needs.
AlanOfTheBerg has upgraded several area roadways to Major Highway or Minor Highway or Primary Street in order to encourage Waze navigation to more easily accept these alternate routes.
As of September 2015, temporary ramps are in place and most work is away from the active roads.
|US20 Pioneer Mountain to Eddyville||Phase 3: 2016||ODOT is bypassing a winding section of existing US20. This project has been on-going since 2007. There have been several delays, including landslides and bridge supports being bent, or going out-of-plumb after installation.
Phase 3 started in 2014, estimated to go through 2016. New fill is being added with sensors to detect movement before continuing on with the roadway
|US-26 Safety and Preservation Project||2014 - 2016||Safety improvements to a section of US-26 west of Government Camp. Map Curve will be realigned to create a softer turn.|
|Newberg-Dundee Bypass||2013-2016||Phase 1 groundbreaking took place August 29, 2012 at the location of the new junction near OR219 and Wynooski Rd. Construction is planned to begin in 2013. Full plan is to build a bypass for OR99W south of Newberg and Dundee between the OR18/OR99W interchange to a new interchange on 219 then to S Sprinbrook RD. then to 99w.|
|OR 140 Ritter Road to Deer Run Road||2014 - 2016||A 9.2-mile section of OR 140 will be straightened, widened, and repaved.
9/16/15 Update: Realignment has been completed north of Dinner Plate Quarry and the project is preparing to shut down for the winter. Segments have been adjusted using project maps and the new GPS points layer. ODOT Project Page
Not every camera-looking device at an intersection is a speed or red light camera. Generally speaking:
Be sure to know your cameras before accepting new camera reports.
Currently only the Waze client app can add cameras to the map. When adding a camera from the app, be sure to review the camera placement recommendations.
Laws regarding speed and red light cameras vary between the states and territories, so be sure to understand the details of camera legality in Oregon.
Based on information researched at the time this page was created, the limited legality of speed cameras in Oregon is described in this page, and red light cameras are permitted statewide in Oregon.
No other camera types should be mapped in Waze.
To do list
Many states and territories keep an active list of pending or closed actions that need to be done in the state by the editors. All editors are welcome to contribute to the list of activities.
This state does not currently have an active "to do" list at this time. Check in the Oregon section of the Waze forums to discuss creating one.
The table below identifies the editors also designated as Area Managers or higher who are editing in Oregon. If you have any questions, please consider contacting them directly as needed. If you are an Area Manager that covers Oregon, or a USA Country Manager that does a lot of work in Oregon, please add yourself to this list (alphabetical by username) in the correct rank section.
The editor who also serves as the Regional Coordinator for Oregon is automatically listed at the top of the table. That editor may not be highly active in this state and therefore may not be listed separately in the table.
|Oregon — Area, State and Country Managers|
Regional Coordinator(s): AlanOfTheBerg ( )
| Country Managers (Northwest region)|
|AlanOfTheBerg(6) [ ]||Statewide|| |
|State Managers (Northwest region)|
|FzNk(5) [ ]||Statewide|| |
Resident of state
| Area Managers |
|AJSmoke(3) [ ]||Portland Metro|| |
|elle-emme(3) [ ]||Clackamas|| |
Salem, OR to Woodland, WA
|serega_12(3) [ ]||Washington|| |
PDX to Longview, WA
|sjg639(3) [ ]||Lane|| |
|SkyviewGuru(4) [ ]||Edge of Eastern Oregon|| |
Idaho State Manager
|thewebdiggity(3) [ ]||Union|| |
La Grande area
Other states and territories
About this page