| The new Waze Wiki, aka Wazeopedia, is now live at Wazeopedia.waze.com! While this legacy wiki will remain accessible for the time being, it is no longer updated by the community. For the most up-to-date guidance, please visit your local Wazeopedia.
Please do not make any more updates to these legacy wiki pages, all future updates should be made in your country's local Wazeopedia.
An alley should be mapped if:
- An alley should be mapped if it is named.
- An alley should be mapped if it is the address of a home or business.
- An alley is normally mapped if it is acknowledged by the municipality.
If an alley does not meet the above criteria, mapping is discouraged unless it solves a navigation issue. Check the "No name" box in WME if it has no name.
- If mapped, an alley should always be set to type "Private Road".
Because of the way the routing engine works, Waze will route users to drive onto "non-drivable" road types. Generally, if a path can't be driven on (e.g. Walking Trail, Pedestrian Boardwalk, Stairway, Runway/Taxiway) then it is not normally mapped. If it is mapped, it should not be connected to any roads. "Emergency and Authorized Vehicles Only" and PennDOT Service Roads are to be treated as non-drivable roads as well. You primarily see these between interstate roads and on the Turnpike. If mapped, they should not be connected to any drivable road, the road type should be set as Private Road and locked at the highest rank of the editor.
Railroads may be mapped since some people use Waze while on the train, contributing false traffic data to the system. This false data has been known to affect drivers on adjacent roads.
- AS OF OCTOBER 2014: Railroads can be junctioned with a driveable road segment as per the Road Types / USA Wiki entry. This will allow for Waze to collect more accurate historical data and better determine if there are delays at the railroad crossing at various times of the day. There is no need for mass editing of railroads, but these changes can be made as encountered on the map. The elevation should be set to 'Ground'. If a railroad is junctioned with a driveable road segment, all turns should be restricted for the junction to and from the railroad segments. If an automated Map Problem (MP) is seen at a railroad junction with the turns restricted, mark it as "Not identified."
Time restricted turns
The Waze Map Editor and routing engine supports scheduled restrictions (time of day, day of week, turns, traffic flow direction, vehicle type, etc.).
Please see the Scheduled Restrictions page for full documentation on this feature.