Virginia mapping resources
Mapping resources for Virginia
- 1 State-wide Resources
- 2 Regional Resources
- 2.1 Resources by City/County
- 2.1.1 Arlington County
- 2.1.2 City of Alexandria
- 2.1.3 City of Charlottesville
- 2.1.4 City of Chesapeake
- 2.1.5 Chesterfield County
- 2.1.6 City of Fairfax
- 2.1.7 City of Harrisonburg
- 2.1.8 City of Manassas
- 2.1.9 City of Suffolk
- 2.1.10 Fairfax County
- 2.1.11 Isle of Wight County
- 2.1.12 Loudoun County
- 2.1.13 Prince William County
- 2.1.14 Spotsylvania County
- 2.1.15 Stafford County
- 2.1.16 Surry County
- 2.1 Resources by City/County
VDOT Functional Classification
- Functional Highway Maps have been compiled by VDOT for all areas of Virginia. They represent the official road classifications based on current and projected traffic levels, and are a very useful resource to help get Waze road types sorted out consistently across the state.
- Because VDOT's classifications don't line up directly with Waze road types, judgement is required to keep the road types consistent with guidance across the rest of the USA. Consult the Road Types (USA) page for guidance on how to type functional classes below with multiple possible Waze road types given.
Functional Highway Maps
VDOT Functional Classification Waze road type Urban Interstate/Freeway/Expressway
Freeway Urban Principal arterial
Rural Principal arterial
Major highway, or
Urban Minor arterial Minor highway, or
Rural Minor arterial Minor highway Urban collector
Rural Major collector
Primary street Rural Minor collector Primary street, or
(local judgement recommended)
Not classified Street
- Rural farm and logging roads that are never open to the public should be marked ad Private Road type to prevent routing. Most should be left off the map unless they serve multiple residences or residences out of sight of the main road. The Dirt Road/4x4 Trail designation should be reserved for public (state/locality maintained) dirt roads and Forest Service roads, etc, that a user may actually traverse freely during at least part of the year.
Other Virginia Statewide Resources
- 2006/7 Virginia Base Mapping Program data 1' resolution, leaf off, whole state coverage
- AARoads Virginia Contains pictures of most BGS on highways as well as other ground level imagery.
- 2011 Virginia Base Mapping data 1' resolution, leaf off, coverage of NoVA, Richmond and Tidewater areas
Resources by City/County
Arlington County GIS
- Aerial Photos This is aerial imagery with streets labelled.
- Real Estate Map This is a parcel map with addresses identified.
City of Alexandria
City of Charlottesville
City of Chesapeake
City of Fairfax
- City of Fairfax GIS Only includes the area within the city limits. See Fairfax County below for the surrounding area.
City of Harrisonburg
City of Manassas
City of Suffolk
- Suffolk GIS Includes a "YourMap" tool, which is a bit slow but includes very detailed information. However, recommend considering the OrthoPhotography link first. It's faster, and will still display full parcel data with street names and house numbers. OrthoPhotography will often work fine when YourMap won't even load.
- Fairfax County GIS Excludes CIty of Fairfax (See above).
Isle of Wight County
- Isle of Wight County GIS Includes street numbers, road names, and all property data.
- Loudoun County Mapping GIS
- To show street addresses, check "LandRecords"; Address Points, Road Centerline, and Parcel Boundaries underneath LandRecords are useful.
- To show Census Designated Places, check "Planning" and then underneath check "Census 2010 - CDP"
- If you are looking to make sure all schools are landmarked in your area, you can find them by checking "Schools" and then "School Sites".
- "BaseLayers" should be checked by default.