This page serves as the primary resource for editors of Kansas. Review all the sections to better understand how the guidelines for this state might deviate from the overall USA or worldwide guidelines. If you have any comments or questions about this page or state refer to the community links below.
No general message at this time.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Mapping resources
- 3 Community
- 4 Cities and towns
- 5 Major roads
- 6 Special roads
- 7 Closures
- 8 Places
- 9 Cameras
- 10 To do list
- 11 Area Managers
- 12 Other states and territories
- 13 About this page
Kansas is a part of the Plains region, which includes the states and/or territories of:
Before editing the maps in Kansas, be sure to fully review and understand the editing manual.
The Waze user community follows the Waze etiquette guidelines discussed in the Wiki. Be sure to familiarize yourself with these guiding principals while editing the maps and this Wiki, as well as when communicating with other Waze users.
- KSDOT FC Maps by urban areas (more accurate and up-to-date than county maps)
- KSDOT FC Maps by county
GIS by County
- Anderson, Atchison, Barton, Chatauqua, Clay, Crawford, Doniphan, Elk, Jefferson, Jewell, Kingman, Marion, McPherson, Montgomery, Saline, Sedgewick and Wabaunsee Counties
- Butler County Cities of Andover, Augusta, Douglass, El Dorado, Rose Hill, Towanda
- Cherokee County Cities of Baxter Springs, Columbus, Galena
- Cowley County Cities of Arkansas City, Winfield
- Dickinson County Cities of Abilene, Carlton, Chapman, Enterprise, Herington, Hope, Manchester, Solomon (partial), Woodbine
- Doniphan County Cities of Elwoood, Wathena, Troy
- Douglas County Cities of Baldwin City, Eudora, Lawrence, Lecompton
- Ellis County Cities of Ellis, Hays, Victoria
- Geary County Cities of Fort Riley (partial), Grandview Plaza, Junction City, Milford
- Jackson County City of Holton
- Johnson County Cities of De Soto, Edgerton, Fairway, Gardner, Lake Quivira, Leawood, Lenexa, Merriam, Mission, Mission Hills, Mission Woods, Olathe, Overland Park, Prairie Village, Roeland Park, Shawnee, Spring Hill, Westwood, Westwood Hills
- Lane County Cities of Dighton
- Leavenworth County Cities of Basehor, Easton, Lansing, Leavenworth, Linwood, Tonganoxie
- Lyon County City of Emporia
- Miami County Cities of Louisburg, Osawatomie, Paola, Spring Hill
- Pottawatomie County Cities of Manhattan, St. Marys, Wamego
- Reno County Cities of Buhler, Haven, Hutchinson, Nickerson, South Hutchinson
- Riley County Cities of Fort Riley (partial), Leonardville, Manhattan, Ogden, Randolph, Riley
- Sedgwick County Cities of Bel Aire, Cheney, Clearwater, Colwich, Derby, Goddard, Haysville, Kechi, Maize, Mulvane, Park City, Sedgwick, Valley Center, Wichita
- Shawnee County Cities of Auburn, Rossville, Silver Lake, Topeka
- Wilson County Cities of Fredonia, Neodesha
- Wyandotte County Cities of Bonner Springs, Edwardsville, Kansas City
- USGS National Map Viewer (sometimes quite out of date)
- 2011 Boundary and Annexation Survey Maps from the US Census Bureau
See Kansas/Resources for guidance in Kansas that may not be universal to all other states and territories.
The Waze forum is a great place to find answers to previously asked questions and also a place to ask new ones. Below are links to the forums specific to Kansas.
- Kansas section of Waze forum
- The Plains region forum
- The USA section of Waze Forum
- The USA segment unlock requests
New editors should consider checking into the formal mentoring program available at no charge.
Cities and towns
One of the most common errors when editing the maps is when an editor creates a road and does not confirm the road by setting the city and road name (or stating it has none).
Some states and territories manage a separate page on cities and towns to identify the specific city names that should be entered, and no others. For states that do not have a separate page to track the names, see this Wikipedia link and find the state or territory in question.
Kansas uses the Functional Classification rules outlined in the Road_types/USA page
Kansas uses lock levels common among the USA/Plains region.
In Kansas we have a set minimum standard for locking roads based on segment type. Any road of a certain segment type must be locked at least to the rank (level) in the chart below. Roads may be locked higher for protection and special situations (areas with construction, tricky design, frequent mistakes, imaging inaccuracies, and the like), but should not be locked lower.
A great time to implement these locks is while bringing the road types of an area into compliance with the current US road type standards (FC and highway systems). Lock the roads based on type after they've been set to current US road type standards.
See Kansas/Major roads for guidance in Kansas that may not be universal to all other states and territories.
Kansas follows the standard USA guidelines for all of the following special road types.
- Divided highways and roadways
- Carpool, HOV, Transit lanes
- Roundabouts and traffic circles
- Dirt roads
- Toll roads
- Partial and scheduled restrictions
- Private installations and military bases
Review the Wiki guidelines for non-drivable roads to ensure compliance with the general guidelines.
Guidelines that vary by state or territory
The following special roads are managed slightly uniquely in some states and territories. This state uses the following standard guidelines found in the Wiki.
- KSDOT 511 KS DOT closure & road information
- Douglas County
- Johnson County
- Overland Park
- Shanwee County
- Wyandotte County
See Kansas/Closures for guidance in Kansas that may not be universal to all other states and territories.
Not every camera-looking device at an intersection is a speed or red light camera. Generally speaking:
Be sure to know your cameras before accepting new camera reports.
Currently only the Waze client app can add cameras to the map. When adding a camera from the app, be sure to review the camera placement recommendations.
Laws regarding speed and red light cameras vary between the states and territories, so be sure to understand the details of camera legality in Kansas.
Based on information researched at the time this page was created, Kansas does not have any laws regarding red light or speed cameras, therefore they may be present in the state.
No other camera types should be mapped in Waze.
DrivingLaws.org reference for KS (not official).
To do list
Many states and territories keep an active list of pending or closed actions that need to be done in the state by the editors. All editors are welcome to contribute to the list of activities.
Urban Area Functional Classification
|Urban Area||First Pass Editor||Check Editor|
|Arkansas City||not started||not started|
|Atchison||not started||not started|
|Augusta||not started||not started|
|Baxter Springs||not started||not started|
|Chanute||not started||not started|
|Coffeyville||not started||not started|
|Colby||not started||not started|
|Concordia||not started||not started|
|Dodge City||not started||not started|
|El Dorado||not started||not started|
|Elwood||not started||not started|
|Emporia||not started||not started|
|Eudora||not started||not started|
|Fort Scott||not started||not started|
|Garden City||not started||not started|
|Great Bend||bundlegut||not started|
|Hays||not started||not started|
|Independence||not started||not started|
|Junction City||autenil||not started|
|Kansas City||autenil||not started|
|Lawrence||not started||not started|
|Liberal||not started||not started|
|Ottawa||not started||not started|
|Paola||not started||not started|
|Parsons||not started||not started|
|Pittsburg||not started||not started|
|Pratt||not started||not started|
|Salina||not started||not started|
|Spring Hill||not started||not started|
|Topeka||not started||not started|
|Ulysses||not started||not started|
|Wellington||not started||not started|
|Winfield||not started||not started|
See Kansas/To do for guidance in Kansas that may not be universal to all other states and territories.
The table below identifies the editors also designated as Area Managers or higher who are editing in Kansas. If you have any questions, please consider contacting them directly as needed. If you are an Area Manager that covers Kansas, or a USA Country Manager that does a lot of work in Kansas, please add yourself to this list (alphabetical by username) in the correct rank section.
The editor who also serves as the Regional Coordinator for Kansas is automatically listed at the top of the table. That editor may not be highly active in this state and therefore may not be listed separately in the table.
|Kansas — Area, State and Country Managers|
Regional Coordinator(s): the1who ( )
| Country Managers (Plains region)|
| bretmcvey(5) [ ]
Based in Omaha, NE
|State Managers (Plains region)|
|autenil(4) [ ]||Statewide|| |
Former resident of state, now in SoCal
|bundlegut(4) [ ]||Statewide|| |
Based in Wichita
| Area Managers |
|MPaxx(2) [ ]||Wichita|
|TKinneys(3) [ ]||Topeka|| |
Based in Topeka
|KC-Guardrail(3) [ ]||KC Metro|| |
Based in Bonner Springs KS
|Starkreiten(2) [ ]||Fort Riley|| |
Based in Chapman KS
Other states and territories
About this page