This page serves as the primary resource for editors of Kansas. Review all the sections to better understand how the guidelines for this state might deviate from the overall USA or worldwide guidelines. If you have any comments or questions about this page or state refer to the community links below.
No general message at this time.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Mapping resources
- 3 Community
- 4 Cities and towns
- 5 Major roads
- 6 Special roads
- 7 Closures
- 8 Places
- 9 Cameras
- 10 To do list
- 11 Area Managers
- 12 Other states and territories
- 13 About this page
Kansas is a part of the Plains region, which includes the states and/or territories of:
Before editing the maps in Kansas, be sure to fully review and understand the editing manual.
The Waze user community follows the Waze etiquette guidelines discussed in the Wiki. Be sure to familiarize yourself with these guiding principals while editing the maps and this Wiki, as well as when communicating with other Waze users.
- KSDOT FC Maps by urban areas (more accurate and up-to-date than county maps)
- KSDOT FC Maps by county
GIS by County
- Anderson, Atchison, Barton, Chatauqua, Clay, Crawford, Doniphan, Elk, Jefferson, Jewell, Kingman, Marion, McPherson, Montgomery, Saline, Sedgewick and Wabaunsee Counties
- Butler County Cities of Andover, Augusta, Douglass, El Dorado, Rose Hill, Towanda
- Cherokee County Cities of Baxter Springs, Columbus, Galena
- Cowley County Cities of Arkansas City, Winfield
- Dickinson County Cities of Abilene, Carlton, Chapman, Enterprise, Herington, Hope, Manchester, Solomon (partial), Woodbine
- Doniphan County Cities of Elwoood, Wathena, Troy
- Douglas County Cities of Baldwin City, Eudora, Lawrence, Lecompton
- Ellis County Cities of Ellis, Hays, Victoria
- Geary County Cities of Fort Riley (partial), Grandview Plaza, Junction City, Milford
- Jackson County City of Holton
- Johnson County Cities of De Soto, Edgerton, Fairway, Gardner, Lake Quivira, Leawood, Lenexa, Merriam, Mission, Mission Hills, Mission Woods, Olathe, Overland Park, Prairie Village, Roeland Park, Shawnee, Spring Hill, Westwood, Westwood Hills
- Lane County Cities of Dighton
- Leavenworth County Cities of Basehor, Easton, Lansing, Leavenworth, Linwood, Tonganoxie
- Lyon County City of Emporia
- Miami County Cities of Louisburg, Osawatomie, Paola, Spring Hill
- Pottawatomie County Cities of Manhattan, St. Marys, Wamego
- Reno County Cities of Buhler, Haven, Hutchinson, Nickerson, South Hutchinson
- Riley County Cities of Fort Riley (partial), Leonardville, Manhattan, Ogden, Randolph, Riley
- Sedgwick County Cities of Bel Aire, Cheney, Clearwater, Colwich, Derby, Goddard, Haysville, Kechi, Maize, Mulvane, Park City, Sedgwick, Valley Center, Wichita
- Shawnee County Cities of Auburn, Rossville, Silver Lake, Topeka
- Wilson County Cities of Fredonia, Neodesha
- Wyandotte County Cities of Bonner Springs, Edwardsville, Kansas City
- USGS National Map Viewer (sometimes quite out of date)
- 2011 Boundary and Annexation Survey Maps from the US Census Bureau
See Kansas/Resources for guidance in Kansas that may not be universal to all other states and territories.
The Waze forum is a great place to find answers to previously asked questions and also a place to ask new ones. Below are links to the forums specific to Kansas.
- Kansas section of Waze forum
- The Plains region forum
- The USA section of Waze Forum
- The USA segment unlock requests
New editors should consider checking into the formal mentoring program available at no charge.
Kansas Map Editors Hangout
We have a Google+ Hangout (GHO) available for all those editing in Kansas. Editors can discuss issues and ideas from around the state, seek input from fellow editors, get unlocks for road segments locked above your level, etc. If you would like to join, click this link: Kansas GHO
More information about Google+ Hangouts can be found here: Google+ Hangouts
Cities and towns
One of the most common errors when editing the maps is when an editor creates a road and does not confirm the road by setting the city and road name (or stating it has none).
Some states and territories manage a separate page on cities and towns to identify the specific city names that should be entered, and no others. For states that do not have a separate page to track the names, see this Wikipedia link and find the state or territory in question.
State Highway Naming
Kansas highways are named as K-### (e.g. K-7, K-7 N). This includes their related business, loops, and spurs. (e.g. K-7 BUS) This shortened version takes up less space on the map screen and is announced correctly as "Kansas Highway ###" while navigating with the Waze app.
County Road Naming
County roads with the name designation of "County Road ###" are named as CR-### (e.g. CR-110). This shortened version takes up less space on the map screen and is announced correctly as "County Road ###" while navigating with the Waze app.
Kansas uses the Functional Classification rules outlined in the Road_types/USA page
The table below shows a cross reference for the minimum road types in Kansas. Keep in mind that these are only minimums, and may need to be upgraded based on the qualities defined on the USA road type guidelines.
|KDOT Classification||Waze Road Type|
**Kansas numbered state highways should be set to a minimum of Minor Highway.**
Kansas uses lock levels common among the USA/Plains region.
In Kansas we have a set minimum standard for locking roads based on segment type. Any road of a certain segment type must be locked at least to the rank (level) in the chart below. Roads may be locked higher for protection and special situations (areas with construction, tricky design, frequent mistakes, imaging inaccuracies, and the like), but should not be locked lower.
A great time to implement these locks is while bringing the road types of an area into compliance with the current US road type standards (FC and highway systems). Lock the roads based on type after they've been set to current US road type standards.
Kansas follows the standard USA guidelines for all of the following special road types.
- Divided highways and roadways
- Carpool, HOV, Transit lanes
- Roundabouts and traffic circles
- Toll roads
- Partial and scheduled restrictions
- Private installations and military bases
Review the Wiki guidelines for non-drivable roads to ensure compliance with the general guidelines.
|We have special rules which enhance and modify the general map guidelines provided by Waze. We ask that when editing in Kansas you follow these rules for special road types.|
In many Kansas counties, the Dirt road type should apply only to roads that are truly dirt/low-maintenance. Well-maintained gravel roads should NOT be set as the Dirt Road type. They should be at least Street type and potentially as high as Primary Street status. The reason some of these gravel roads qualify for Primary Street status is based upon their functional classification designation. These roads may be gravel, but they are intended to be main routes between towns (especially in rural areas) and are often wider and more frequently maintained. This of course isn't ideal for Wazers who'd prefer to avoid gravel roads, but until an unpaved option is made available to apply as an attribute, it's the best overall option for routing.
Alleys are to be mapped since they are sometimes required to access parking lots, businesses, and residences. Alleys are to be the parking lot road type and the name should be set to "Alley."
Following the spirit of mapping all drivable surfaces, parking lot roads are to be mapped in Kansas. Please follow the general guidelines and use discretion to provide functionality without overcrowding the map.
Rural driveways in KS should frequently be mapped (as Private Roads), even if shorter than the general Driveways recommendation of 50 meters. Drivers will often be travelling at a high speed, and an upcoming turn provides the necessary advanced warning of their destination. Driveways also serve as useful navigation landmarks on otherwise featureless rural roads. If they are not mapped, Waze may mistakenly snap to a nearby road and interfere with the speed data or provide confusing directions. When mapping a new driveway, check the House Numbers on all nearby roads to ensure all entries are closest to the most appropriate road or driveway.
Urban driveways do not qualify for mapping in most circumstances unless they meet certain route-aiding criteria as defined in the national standards for Driveways.
- KSDOT 511 KS DOT closure & road information
- Douglas County
- Johnson County
- Overland Park
- Shanwee County
- Wyandotte County
See Kansas/Closures for guidance in Kansas that may not be universal to all other states and territories.
Hospitals / Urgent Care
Only Hospitals, Emergency Rooms, and Urgent Care Facilities should use the Hospital / Medical Center category. This category is to be used for places offering urgent / emergency care. Other medical facilities such as clinics and medical offices which do not offer urgent medical care for walk-ins should be categorized as Office. Hospitals should be mapped as an Area Place encompassing the entire medical facility. Additionally, hospital Emergency Room entrances should be mapped as a Point Place at the ER entrance to aid in navigating to the proper entrance.
Not all parking lots should be mapped. Generally a Parking Lot Place marks a well-defined area constructed for off-street public parking, including parking structures and garages as well as at-grade lots. There are many elements that must be considered before deciding to map a parking lot. Dedicated parking lots for businesses, stores, places of employment, apartment complexes, etc. that are utilized for those specific locations are not to be mapped. Guidelines for parking lots are covered in the Places/Parking Lot wiki.
Places Minimum Acceptable Information
All Places added to the map must contain the following entries:
- Proper Category
- Place Name
- Address (including address numbers)
- Placed in the correct location on the map
This is the minimum acceptable amount of information for inclusion on the map.
Places Locking Standard
|Place Type||Lock Level|
|Military Installation / Airport||4|
|Hospitals / Urgent Care / Police & Fire Dept||4|
|National & State Parks and Monuments||4|
|Gas Stations / Charging Stations||3|
|Schools / Universities / Colleges||3|
|Government Buildings / Consulates||3|
|City and Local Parks||2|
|All other places with complete information||2|
- Complete information includes at a minimum:
- Proper Category
- Place Name
- Address/City (including address numbers)
- Placed in the correct location on the map
- Hours of operation (if available)
- Phone number
- These locks are in place to prevent loss of data due to automatic acceptance of Place Update submissions from Trusted Users, or Place Update Request approvals from other editors without careful examination.
- If you do not have a high enough enough rank to lock the place as indicated, please lock it as high as you can, and notify a higher rank AM, SM, CM, or Champ to lock it higher.
Not every camera-looking device at an intersection is a speed or red light camera. Generally speaking:
Be sure to know your cameras before accepting new camera reports.
When adding a camera, be sure to review the camera placement recommendations.
Laws regarding speed and red light cameras vary between the states and territories, so be sure to understand the details of camera legality in Kansas.
Based on information researched at the time this page was created, Kansas does not have any laws regarding red light or speed cameras, therefore they may be present in the state.
No other camera types should be mapped in Waze.
DrivingLaws.org reference for KS (not official).
To do list
Many states and territories keep an active list of pending or closed actions that need to be done in the state by the editors. All editors are welcome to contribute to the list of activities.
Urban Area Functional Classification
|Urban Area||First Pass Editor||Check Editor|
|Arkansas City||not started||not started|
|Atchison||not started||not started|
|Augusta||not started||not started|
|Baxter Springs||not started||not started|
|Chanute||not started||not started|
|Coffeyville||not started||not started|
|Colby||not started||not started|
|Concordia||not started||not started|
|Dodge City||not started||not started|
|El Dorado||MPaxx||not started|
|Elwood||not started||not started|
|Emporia||not started||not started|
|Eudora||not started||not started|
|Fort Scott||not started||not started|
|Garden City||not started||not started|
|Great Bend||bundlegut||not started|
|Hays||not started||not started|
|Independence||not started||not started|
|Junction City||autenil||not started|
|Kansas City||autenil||not started|
|Lawrence||not started||not started|
|Liberal||not started||not started|
|Ottawa||not started||not started|
|Parsons||not started||not started|
|Pittsburg||not started||not started|
|Pratt||not started||not started|
|Topeka||not started||not started|
|Ulysses||not started||not started|
|Wellington||not started||not started|
|Winfield||not started||not started|
See Kansas/To do for guidance in Kansas that may not be universal to all other states and territories.
The table below identifies the editors also designated as Area Managers or higher who are editing in Kansas. If you have any questions, please consider contacting them directly as needed. If you are an Area Manager that covers Kansas, or a USA Country Manager that does a lot of work in Kansas, please add yourself to this list (alphabetical by username) in the correct rank section.
The editor who also serves as the Regional Coordinator for Kansas is automatically listed at the top of the table. That editor may not be highly active in this state and therefore may not be listed separately in the table.
|Kansas — Area, State and Country Managers|
Regional Coordinator(s): the1who ( ) and bretmcvey ( )
GHO Display Name
| Country Managers (Plains region)|
| bretmcvey(6) [ ]
Based in Omaha, NE
|State Managers (Plains region)|
|autenil(4) [ ]||Statewide|| |
Former resident of state, now in SoCal
| bundlegut(5) [ ]
Based in Wichita
| KC-Guardrail(5) [ ]
Based in Bonner Springs
| TKinneys(4) [ ]
Based in Topeka
| Area Managers |
| MPaxx(2) [ ]
Based in Valley Center
|foobz(3) [ ]||North JoCo|| |
Based in Shawnee
| TKinneys(4) [ ]
Based in Topeka
| KC-Guardrail(5) [ ]
|KC Metro|| |
Based in Bonner Springs KS
| Starkreiten(2) [ ]
|Fort Riley|| |
Based in Chapman KS
| eaglestailg8ter(4) [ ]
Robert M eaglestailg8ter</div>
|KC Metro|| |
Based in PA, lived in KC Metro
|WAKirkpatrick(3) [ ]||NE KS & KC Metro|| |
Live in the Northland area of Kansas City, MO
Other states and territories
About this page