To Do - Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA
- Update June 22, 2012*
I have found that the exit numbers for the freeway along the north side of Des Moines is consistent with I-80, therefore changing the old format of how I grew up just knowing it as I-35, to I-80. If that remains an issue, please use discussion tab.
If you would like to help out in mapping this region, contact me to coordinate our efforts.
Please reference the Discussion Tab/Page before editing this page.
Return to previous page: To Do Lists - Major Cities To Do Lists
|Freeway Section||Area Manager||Assigned||Started||Progress||Comment|
|Major Highways||Responsible Area Manager||Assigned||Started||Progress||Comment
|US Hwy 65|
|US Hwy 65||the1who||TBD||n/a||...||...|
|US Hwy 69|
|US Hwy 69||the1who||TBD||n/a||...|| ...
|Minor/State Highways||Responsible Area Manager||Assigned||Started||Progress||Comment|
|State Hwy 5|
|State Hwy 5||the1who||TBD||n/a||...||...|
|State Hwy 28|
|State Hwy 28||the1who||TBD||n/a||...||...|
|State Hwy 44|
|State Hwy 44||the1who||TBD||n/a||...||...|
|State Hwy 141|
|State Hwy 141||the1who||TBD||n/a||...||...|
|State Hwy 163|
|State Hwy 163||the1who||TBD||n/a||...|| ...
|Street||Responsible Area Manager||Assigned||Started||Progress||Comment|
|Army Post Rd Sample|
|Army Post Rd Sample||the1who||TBD||n/a||...||...|
|Street/POI||Responsible Area Manager||Assigned||Started||Progress||Comment|
|Creston Ave Sample|
|Creston Ave Sample||TBD||n/a||n/a||...||...|
Map editing guidelines
(or: Let's Just Do This Once)
How to label and name roads
Please reference the following Wikis for editing in our area:
- For map viewing and navigation, it is critical to use the proper labeling of a road type. The Work Chart above gives a good representation of what you should see in Cartouche and the client, if you have your client's color scheme set to map editor.
- road geometry matches aerials
- eliminate unnecessary junctions: other than where the city changes, or where ramps connect, get rid of 'em.
- lane directions correct & locked (one-way roads do not have center dividers)
- road type is correct
- primary road name first: "I-xx"/"US Hwy xx"/"State Hwy xx"
- alternate route numbers next;
- highway name (e.g., "Yankee Division Hwy") next
- street name if applicable (e.g., Andover St.) last
- check & correct connectivity between highway segments
- geometry matches aerials
- directions correct & locked (one-way roads do not have center dividers)
- road type set to "ramps"
- street names should match existing signage; e.g.:
- "Exit 20 / Boston / Brighton / Cambridge"
- "to I-90 W / Worcester"
- when a ramp segment has no sign of its own (e.g., after two ramps merge), borrow from the names of the "upstream" ramps, which should be similar if not identical
- check & correct all connectivity among ramps & roads--critical for proper routing
- eliminate junctions connecting roads that should be at different levels
- when possible, make "0" the street level
- overpasses should have a positive level (unless they are at street level spanning a below-grade road)
- roads that are below street level, such as I-90 through Allston, should have a negative level, even when there are no roads crossing over them
- do not add junctions in order to change road levels mid-segment, unless unavoidable (e.g., A crosses over B, which crosses over C, which elsewhere crosses over A.)
- when changing a segment's level, check its full length for problems with using the new value