| The new Waze Wiki, aka Wazeopedia, is now live at Wazeopedia.waze.com! While this legacy wiki will remain accessible for the time being, it is no longer updated by the community. For the most up-to-date guidance, please visit your local Wazeopedia.
Please do not make any more updates to these legacy wiki pages, all future updates should be made in your country's local Wazeopedia.
Building waze for iPhone
IMPORTANT NOTE for community developers: There is required data missing from waze's source code release, including but not limited to images, sounds, and web service URLs. It's unclear whether this conforms or does not conform to the GNU GPL under which waze is published, but it does make it impossible to build a working app from the published source code. As data becomes available to make a working build from the source code, it will be noted here.
- Apple iOS SDK (no charge to register and download)
- waze source code (naturally!)
- (other data not in the waze source code zip file; see important note above)
- Apple iOS Developer Program (paid membership; necessary to build for an actual iOS device instead of just the simulator)
- Make a working directory for the waze source code. It will need to be somewhere where you can add a symlink to its parent directory. For these examples, we'll say the directory is /Users/Me/iOS/waze, but it could be under any path you like.
- Unzip the source code into /Users/Me/iOS/waze. You'll end up with the source code under something like /Users/Me/iOS/waze/waze_src_2.0. Just rename it so it becomes /Users/Me/iOS/waze/src.
- Change to the parent directory (/Users/Me/iOS) and make a symlink: ln -s waze/src/iphone
- Change to the waze/src/iphone directory and make another symlink: ln -s .. src
- Fire up Xcode.
- Within Xcode, open: waze/src/iPhone/Xcode/waze.xcodeproj
- Now you can try your first build. If you go to the Build menu and choose one of the "Build and Debug" or "Build and Run" options, Xcode will automatically install the built app into the iPhone Simulator and run it there.