| The new Waze Wiki, aka Wazeopedia, is now live at Wazeopedia.waze.com! While this legacy wiki will remain accessible for the time being, it is no longer updated by the community. For the most up-to-date guidance, please visit your local Wazeopedia.
Please do not make any more updates to these legacy wiki pages, all future updates should be made in your country's local Wazeopedia.
Car pool, (HOV), Transit Lanes
As an interim measure, Car pool lanes should be added to the map, with the road type as Parking Lot Roads. This means that if you are driving on such a road, then routing will work correctly, but you will not be given such roads as part of your route.
Car pool lanes, HOV lanes and Transit lanes are road lanes reserved for cars carrying more than the driver. Different numbers can apply; a lane may be restricted unless you have 1, 2 or more passengers.
Supporting these lanes is a priority for Waze, and they are aware of the problems caused by such lanes.
A complete solution needs to consider the following factors:
- You need to tell your Waze client app how many passengers you are carrying. Waze will only offer routes over car pool lanes when you have sufficient passengers to be eligible
- A new road type of "car pool lane" with an entry for how many passengers are required to use it
- The ability to change the direction of the car pool lane automatically based on time of day and day of week. This is also necessary for other roads
- The ability to set the passenger limit to zero (ie the road is open to all drivers) based on time of day and day of week
- As car pool lanes are often adjacent to normal roads, GPS tracking is not sufficient to differentiate the two. For accurate road speeds Waze needs to assume you are using the car pool lane when you have passengers (and/or based on your speed)
- HOV lanes are being merged with Toll lanes (HOT lanes) and the user needs to be able to select if they want to allow toll roads. The map needs the ability to track multiple lane restrictions (HOV and/or Toll) for the same road rather than defining the road as either an HOV or a Toll lane.