| The new Waze Wiki, aka Wazeopedia, is now live at Wazeopedia.waze.com! While this legacy wiki will remain accessible for the time being, it is no longer updated by the community. For the most up-to-date guidance, please visit your local Wazeopedia.
Please do not make any more updates to these legacy wiki pages, all future updates should be made in your countries local Wazeopedia.
How to draw and label landmarks (India)
|This part of the wiki page is under construction. For an overview of latest guidelines, please see the the latest updates.|
This forms part of India Editing Best Practice. Editors are encouraged to follow these guidelines.
Only actual "Landmarks" should be mapped, i.e. those which help the driver to find their bearings.
Generally, landmarks should be drawn as simply as possible. Most structures can be represented by a basic rectangle. Do not attempt to accurately match the shape of a building or parking lot, as much of the detail will be lost on the client.
This class of landmarks is used to either label major junctions or suppress traffic reports where Wazers may be stopped/parked/waiting:
Major junctions, particularly on Highways, should be labelled with a landmark.
Under no circumstances should the road name or city name fields of a segment be used for naming of a junction.
The landmark should be kept tight to the road system to ensure a tidy transfer to the client. The "snap-to" feature, when adding landmarks via Waze Map Editor, makes this process easier!
Complex shaped junction:
Roundabout Based Junctions
To aid navigation instructions, roundabout segments should typically remain unnamed. If the roundabout does have a proper, signposted name, then this can be labelled using a landmark of "Junction/Intersection" type that fills the centre of the roundabout. This only applies to big roundabouts that are larger than 30 metres.
The landmark should be kept tight to the roundabout to ensure a tidy transfer to the client. The "snap-to" feature, when adding landmarks via Waze Map Editor, makes this process easier!
Large, freehand shapes should be avoided...
Use the "Parking lot" landmark type. Include the main route through the car park using a Parking lot road type. Do NOT draw every single row within the car park.
Parking lot roads should not be named, as it looks better to have a label on the landmark. Public Car parks, i.e. operated by the City Muncipal Corporation, should be labelled with [P]. Customer car parks for business should not be labelled this way, but may be drawn in. Names of the car parks do not need to be added. Park and Ride can be labelled with [P+R] (same for bus, railway and metro).
- See the main Best Practice for more on mapping parking lots
- A "Gas Station" is drawn as an Area Place.
- The area is drawn over the entire forecourt, so it is visible on the map
- Routes in and out should be mapped with type "Parking Lot Road"
- All segments should have appropriate directions and junction arrows.
- The correct brand of fuel should be selected.
- Use the Place Name specified for the brand of fuel
- Add all of the alternate names for that brand
- If the station has a separate company name (Ex: Shaheed Jagat Singh Filling Station), add it in another Alternate Name field.
- Address and phone numbers should be added, if known.
- Lock a gas station at Level 2 to prevent loss of data. Gas stations on major highways need to be locked at Level 4 or above (ask your group for help if it is above your level)
Gas Stations are drawn as Places. Add them as an area and avoid point Places. The fence line should include the entrance, parking lots, toilets, stores within the premises that are a part of the gas station. Don’t ‘ snap’ the area to the roads.
Most stations are small in India and occupy different shapes. Stretch them to your best ability so that they are visible on the waze app. Please ensure the fence line does not cross the road or neighbouring buildings or structures - zoom in for better stretching the boundary.
- To add a gas stations, create a Place by clicking the (picture) and choose “car services”. This will give you a blue pointer. Click on top of the gas station. A menu appears on the left side.
- Click Gas Station. Also, click the area tab. Pull the geometry nodes to the sides around the Gas Station. Fill in the Brand. If the station has a separate name, you can add it in the Name field.
- Add info at the more info tab, like opening and closing time. A lot of gas stations in India close at night mainly those within city limits.
- The road within the gas station should be typed “parking lot road” and connected to the road where the gas station is located. Once this is done, turn indicators will appear as arrows. Most gas stations have one entry and one exit, so the parking lot road should be one way, please mark it accordingly.
- Once the road has been created and the turns are marked, please drag the “stop point” that appears on the “gas station area” to the centre of the parking lot road or the most probable area for filling the gas.
- You may add any store that exists at the gas station, like “Indian Oil - Tyre Plus” if two businesses occur at the same premises or a common parking lot road as an Alternate Name. You may also draw the gas station as an area and the other business (like convenience store, car wash, tyre sale) as a point within the area. If the name of the gas station is not clear, leave the field blank.
It is a good rule to generally lock a gas station at Level 2 to prevent loss of created data. Gas station on major highways need to be locked at Level 4 or above. Contact your area manager for unlock and lock after you have edited.
Gas Station Brands
Please use the GPS layer in WME to see if the gas station is in use. Gas station brands marked "p" are private and may be closed in some states for tax reasons. The brands have a link to the brands website, if we could find one.
|Brand||Name||Alt Name||Alt Name|
|Bharat Petroleum||BP||Bharat Petroleum||BP Petrol Pump|
|p||Essar||Essar||Essar Petrol Pump||Essar Oil|
|Hindustan Petroleum||HP||HP Petrol Pump|
|Indian Oil||Indian Oil||IOC||Indian Oil Corporation|
|Indraprastha Gas||IGL||Indraprastha Gas|
|p||ONGC||ONGC||Oil and Natural Gas Corporation||ONGC Petrol Pump|
|p||Reliance Petroleum||Reliance||Reliance Petroleum||Reliance Petrol Pump|
|p||Shell||Shell||Shell Petrol Pump|
- Car Parks should be mapped according to the wiki entry for Parking Areas.
- Petrol Station forecourts should be mapped according to the wiki entry for Petrol Stations.
- Use the Road type "Private Road" for limited access roads (with no public right of way). Ensure that they are set to "Unknown" connectivity, and that turn restrictions are set so that no-one can turn into the road and the segment(s) and connecting segment(s) are locked to enforce the turn restrictions.
- Do not add a City or Street name to any service, road with the exception of the ramps.
- Add landmarks for the major buildings on site (i.e. Services Buildings etc).
Note: To ensure that the turn restrictions are set on the limited access roads, select each junction node in turn and hit Q then W (if desired for other connectivity) to ensure that turns are only allowed on valid directions, then once you lock the segment(s) Waze should enforce the turn restrictions and not route the public down these roads.
For more information on how junction locking works in Waze see the forum thread: Modifying the lock option (and some explanations)
- Railway lines should be drawn in as "Railroad" type roads, especially if there are other streets nearby. They do not appear in the client, but they potentially keep Wazers on trains from polluting the local speed data.
- Railroad Segments should be named "Railway" with no city.
- Railroad Segments should not be connected to the road network at any point.
- Railway Stations should just be labelled 'Railway Station' as search results will be available from external search providers.
POI Mapping Guidelines for India
Please find the POI Guidelines for India.
Please note that no Landmark/POI is to be allowed to snap onto commercial roads, with the exception of Junction/Interchange type POI.
- Gas Station-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials, to be named as per the Brand of Fuel dispensed.
- Toll Booth-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials
- Terminal(Airport Terminals)-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials- Parking Lot Roads to be added within the Landmark
- Airport(Airport Areas including runway and run off areas for planes)(Not to be mapped as Terminals are more useful from a navigation point of view)
- Train Station-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials - Parking Lot Roads to be added within the Landmark
- Bus Station/Bus Terminal-Only Bus Terminus to be marked as per the Bing Aerials - Bus Stops not to be mapped
- Sea Port-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials - Parking Lot Roads to be added within the Landmark
- Parking Lot-Whenever visible on Bing Aerials at Airports, Train Stations, Bus Stations & Sea Ports-Care to be taken to ensure that PL do not snap to roads as PL suppress Traffic Jams and system generated errors
- Junction/Interchange-To be mapped using Snap To Feature
- Bridge-Not to be mapped
- Subway Station(Wherever applicable in Cities with Subway systems)-To be marked at the entrance and exit points to/from the Surface only
- Ferry Lane-Not to be mapped
- Car Rental-Not to be mapped
- Garage(Auto Repair Shops)-Restricted to Automobile Mechanics/Technicians-To be named as AUTO REPAIR SHOP
- Park-To be marked as per the Geographical Boundaries-Named as per name of POI
- Museum/Visitor Center/Monument-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials-Named as per name of POI-Surface Parking lots to be added wherever visible
- Mall/Shopping Center-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials-Named as per name of Mall- Surface Parking lots to be added wherever visible
- Convenience Store/Kiosk-Not to be Mapped
- Restaurant/Bar/Coffee Shop-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials-Named as per Name of POI
- Stadium/Sports Facility-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials-Named as per Name of POI- Surface Parking lots to be added wherever Visible
- Hotel/Motel/Guest Room-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials-Named as per Name of POI- Surface Parking lots to be added wherever Visible
- Club/Concert Hall-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials - Well known Concert Halls with capacity in excess of 1000 seats-Named as per Name of POI- Surface Parking lots to be added wherever Visible
- Beach(Will be mapped under Tourist Site / Attraction)-Not to be mapped
- Camp Site/RV Park-Not to be mapped
- Casino-Not to be mapped
- Marina-Not to be mapped
- Promenade/Boardwalk-Named as per Name of POI
- Store/stall-Not to be mapped
- Island-Not to be mapped
- Sea/Lake/Levee-Not to be mapped as Water Layer will show the Water Bodies on the Client
- River/Stream-To be mapped only if the River/Stream is missing on the Water Layer-Named as per Name of POI
- Forest/Grove-Not to be Mapped
- Farmland-Not to be Mapped
- Gravel-Not to be Mapped
- Danger Zone-Not to be Mapped
- Religious Site-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials-Named as per Name of POI- Surface Parking lots to be added when Visible
- Bank-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials, applicable to Head Offices Only-Named as per Name of POI
- Office Building-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials, applicable to Corporate Offices Only-Named as per Name of POI
- Industry-To be mapped as per Bing Aerials, when dominating a Large Portion of the map-Named as per Name of POI
- Public Building-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials-Named as per Name of POI
- Tourist Site / Attraction-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials/Geographical Boundaries-Named as per Local/Generic Name- Surface Parking lots to be added wherever Visible
- ATM-To be made of sufficient size as small POI will not show up on the Client,
to be named as per Name of the Bank For Example: An ATM of State Bank Of India would be named as SBI ATM
- Pharmacy-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials - Named as PHARMACY
- Supermarket/Market-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials - Named as per Brand Name
- Hospital/Clinic-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials -Preference to be given to Hospitals open 24/7 - Named as HOSPITAL
- Correction Facility/Prison-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials
- Military Site-Not to be Mapped
- Government/Municipal Building-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials-To be named as per the Government naming
- Police Station-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials-Named as POLICE STATION
- University/College/Academy-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials - Named as per the name of the POI
- School/Kindergarten/Junior High/High School-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials - Named as per the name of the POI
- Cemetery-To be marked as per the geographical boundaries
- Fire Department/Emergency Service-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials - Named as FIRE DEPARTMENT
- Post Office-To be marked as per the Bing Aerials
Landmarks types that should NOT be added to the Map
Landmarks smaller than about 1600m² (40m x 40m) won't appear on the client, so there's no point adding them to the map. (A standard build McDonald's with Drive-thru is approximately 1000m²)
It is not necessary to add individual businesses, as they are likely to change over time. Waze search results will be available from external providers and this negates the need to maintain landmarks within the editor.