How to handle road closures
Roads may be partially or completely closed in one or both directions
- If this will be for more than 3 days, you should edit the map.
(NOTE:Since the current time frame for map tile generation is several weeks, 3 days is too short of a time for such edits. Watch the Waze Status page for update info before making short term edits.)
- Don't forget to edit the map back when the road partially or completely reopens.
- If a road is closed, it is recommended to disconnect the section of road that is closed. Changing the road type to "Unknown" will not prevent routing on the road since this means to Waze that it should analyze drives along this segment and change the road direction automatically. This setting will allow Waze to create routes along the road as if it were a 2-way segment.
- If one direction of a road is closed, change the road type to "One-Way" and also put a turn restriction as appropriate on junctions with the road
- There is no need to edit the map for lane closures
- If the road is slower than usual, Waze will learn the average road speed has fallen and make automatic road reports
- If there is an official detour route, Waze will learn about it as you drive it
- You should check all surrounding roads are on the map and have correct directionality and connectivity so that Waze can find the best detour