Difference between revisions of "How to label and name roads (Switzerland)"
|Line 100:||Line 100:|
from [http://map.search.ch/ Map Search Schweiz]
Revision as of 04:28, 9 November 2012
- 1 Road Classification
- 2 Map Legend Switzerland
- 3 Road Categories
- 4 Road naming
- 5 Cities
- 6 Sources
Here you can find the assignment and designation of roads and cities in Switzerland.
- Editors are highly encouraged to use this map as a reference: Map Search
- If you have any questions post here in this thread: Discussion-Thread.
- Languages: German, English, French, Italian, everybody is welcome.
- Or PM me directly if you have any questions.
Map Legend Switzerland
Here you can find the Map Legend Switzerland with informations on signage and the individual segments.
- Freeway => Freeways in Switzerland
- Major Highway => Express roads which are not freeways
- Minor Highway => Numbered main streets on Map Search yellow with a blue roadshield, max. two digits.
- Ramps => Entrance and exit to freeways
- Primary Street => Main street (on Map Search yellow without a roadshield)
- Street => Roads or secondary roads
- Service Road => Gasstations, rest stops on freeways, drive-ins like BK, McD.
Other - drivable
- Dirt Roads/4x4 Trails => Gravel roads, field roads (agriculture and forestry), forest roads.
- Parking Lot Road => All types of parking lots
- Private Road => Private roads
- Walking Trails => Walking trails
- Pedestrian Boardwalk => Pedestrian walkways, boardwalks, all kind of riverside walks
- Stairway => Stairways
- Railroad => Railroads
- Runway/Taxiway => Runways/taxiways
(This is here for completeness. It makes no sense to equip all airports with these, Landmark (Airport) is quite sufficient!)
Assignment of the main and secondary roads:
- Please pay attention to the signage.
- Blue signpost, blue town sign, white/yellow square sign (main road) => Primary Street
- White signpost, white town sign (secondary road) => Street
Freeway => Freeway
- Naming: A1, A2, A3 - E60...
Major Highway => Express roads
- Naming A1L, A52...
National main streets
Minor Highway => National main streets
on Map Search yellow with a blue roadshield, max. two digits.
- Inner city: Streetname and "Alt Street" N1, N2...
- Outer city: If there is no streetname: N1, N2...
If a National main street is leading over a freeway the name of the freeway and "Alt Street" N1, N2...
Numbered main streets
Minor Highway => National-, and numbered main streets
on (Map Search yellow with a blue roadshield, max. two digits)
- Inner city: Streetname and "Alt Street" H1, H2...
- Outer city: If there is no streetname: H1, H2...
Please note: there are two different kind of numbered main roads in Switzerland!
Exit ramps and Entrance ramps
Ramps => Ramps to and from freeways
Designation referred to the names on the signs of the entrances and exits.
The ">" is spoken by TTS as "Richtung" which means "direction to"
- Ausfahrt Zürich Flughafen
- Ausfahrt Bülach-Nord
- Einfahrt > Basel Bern Luzern
- Einfahrt > Zürich Dietikon
Freeway intersections and exits, should be labelled with a landmark.
The landmark should be kept tight to the road system to ensure a tidy transfer to the client. The landmark should be named with the number and the name of the intersection.
Type is: "Junction/Interchange".
Example: "17 Frick"
Example: "8 Liestal"
Streetnames from Map Search Schweiz
Make sure that a city name is unique! If a name exists more than once attach the canton abbreviation at the end:
- Buchs ZH, Wil AG, Aesch ZH
In places that have inserted the term "bei" or other possible variants of an assignment, it is not necessary.
- "Walliswil bei Niederbipp", "Thalheim an der Thur", "Erlenbach im Simmental"
General assignment Map Search Schweiz
- List of the municipalities of Switzerland 
- List of all freeways 
- List of all express roads (Major Highway)
- List of all national main roads (Freeways/Minor Highways) 
- List of numbered main roads (Minor Highway)