The Waze maps are crowd-sourced user edited, and open to anyone who wants to contribute. Any Waze user can become a Map editor by creating a forum account, and logging into the Waze Map Editor. All Map Editors start as Level 1, and can then progress through the ladder of levels and roles as they gain experience, learn the intricacies of WME and map editing, and become involved in the community.
An Area Manager (AM) is a Waze community member (Map Editor) who wishes to take an active and proactive role in maintaining specific areas of the Waze map. To be elaborated...
A State Manager (SM) is a senior Map Editor, who takes responsibility for the map in a specific state or region. This role is not the same as an AM with a larger area. There is a much greater community involvement with this role. There could also be multiple SMs for a single state.
At this moment, these positions are mainly filled by serving foreign editors, until local editors can take over.
- Experienced rank 4 editor or better
- Active and experienced in the Indian community
- Active in the forums and chat (Slack)
You are responsible for the next tasks in your State/Area
Improve the map
- Road network, continuity, routing
- special care for the capital city
- add gas stations and other important Places
- find sources
Maintain the map
- Make sure Unlocks/Updates related to your state are addressed timely
- Make sure that Problem reports (User Reports-URs and Map Problems-MPs, Place Update Requests-PURs) are handled according to the guidelines. URs need a first reply within 7 days
- react quickly to closures or road works
Manage the editors
- Introduce new editors into the community/Keep a lookout for newer editors throughout their state
- Help the editors (or get help for them) to learn the editing technics and the Indian guidelines
- provide opportunities to editors who want to grow
- verify the correctness of editing and garantee the quality
- In case of bad editing, like collecting of points - careless editing, and/or destroying of the map, or in case of suspicion of such behavior cooperate with the LCs to either start training or prevent further editing.
- add state specfic information to the wiki
- Monitor the forum, post updates, keep enthusiasm about state discussions going, and help keep the LCs informed.
- Participation in the development of editing guidelines countrywise and, if necessary, statewise
- Help inform editors about existing guidelines and help evolve thise guidelines based upon their work within a state.
- Participates in the preparation and execution of a raid
Being responsible doesn’t mean you have to do it all by yourself. The more editors there will be in your area, the more your task will be to helping them to do the job.
Important extra task for foreign editors: If you are a foreign editor, be aware that your serving/supporting SM role is interim: as soon as we have local editors that are up to the job, it is your responsibility to (help) train them and finally hand over your position
A Country Manager (CM) is a Map Editor who has privileges to edit the map anywhere in their country. to be elaborated ...
Coordinators (occasionally called "Country Coordinators") are experts who coordinate between the local community and Waze Team, as community ambassadors. Usually Champs. to be elaborated ...
Champs are editors, selected by Waze management, that show a long standing contributions to the Waze community. They are the most experienced users, who also contribute to discussions on the forum. Their role isn't just about editing skills but about actively participating in the community. to be elaborated ...