|| This wiki page is under construction, please check back later.
MapRaid! Karnataka, Kerala and Goa 2017
Error creating thumbnail: File missing
- Start: January 22, 2017
- End: Februari 12, 2017
Registration is closed.
In order of importance:
- Mark all NH & SH correctly
- road type
- streetname according to latest guidelines
- and delete city names in rural areas
- Solve URs and MPs
- Add Speed Limits (on the roads you are updating)
- Add Gas Stations
- Add Roads
- Improve Wiki page
|| MapRaid Leader
When working in the raid area, please set yourself to visible in the country of India in WME chat. Also, turn on the Live Users layer. This will serve to collaborate smoothly and get quick help at your location if needed.
We will use Slack as the main communication service. There is a special #mapraid channel for this raid. If you have trouble getting into the Slack team or channels, please reach out to the MapRaid hosts.
This MapRaid has only 1 group, working together in the states Kerala and Goa of India.
Keep in mind that if you are working in an area which has been edited recently, the Satellite Imagery may be out of date or something else is going on. Please be careful before changing others' work. Please propose your changes in the raid channel first.
Because of national security legislations, civil and military Vital Areas (VAs)/Vital Points (VPs) should not be added to the map. If you encounter one, you can delete it.
You can find a lot of information in the Indian wiki pages. The pages are under construction. If there is anything unclear, please just ask. We all want to have constructive edits and a good map in the end.
Mark all National and State Highways correctly
National Highways generally need to be upgraded to Major Highway (MH). State Highways generally need to be upgraded to minor Highway (mH). There are few exceptions, described on the page about (to be added).
Make sure that the highways connect with same type of road segments or higher (or in appointed cases, ramps).
The guidelines for naming are:
- highways are indicated by their number, if available, in the primary name field
- Names are written as NH-XX, SH-XX, and AH-XX
- all other necessary numbers go in alternate name
- we use the numbers as they are on the map
- we only use new road numbers if it is requested via URs. We then put the old number in alternate name
- names indicating destinations go in alternate name (e.g., Mumbai Pune Highway), if a road number is available
- only when a highway has a specific name in urban areas that is used in addresses, it can be in the primary name.
- Delete the city name from the highways in rural areas. You might need to add a node at the outer borders of a city, village or town. Within urban areas, don't change the city name unless you are absolutely sure.
More info on the wiki page about Road naming (?under embargo-need permission to add link).
Add Speed Limits
While updating the roads, you may as well add speed limits (SLs). Please check if there are existing SLs and make sure not to override them.
Speed Limits in India are expressed in km/h. Always use the metric units setting (see picture) in WME when working with speed limits. There is a handy Speedhelper script that greatly facilitates entering speedlimits.
As we cannot use WME Street View to verify the Speed Limits, we will enter them according to the following guidelines, unless locals share different details (like in URs):
| Road Type
|| default speed in km/h
| Rural road, Major highway
| Rural road, Minor Highway
| Urban roads
These are general speed limits and the Speed Limit Signs will probably be in this range.
- The limits shown above apply only if there are no other signs present, as the signs may prescribe a lower or a higher speed limit. We are dependent on local editors to verify these speeds.
- currently WME allows to specify only one speed limit for a single road segment. If a road has variable speed limits, we enter the lowest/highest/no speed limit -check(or map only the speed limit which is in effect most of the time during daylight hours (most hours of the day, days of the week). -check
- Do not map advisory speed limits (generally blue rectangular sign with white lettering -check).
- Do not map special speed limits for special vehicles. Waze only supports speed limits for private passenger cars.
- Where the speed limit changes, make it change in the map. A new junction may need to be added, unless the remaining segment length is less than 20 meters.
Road Segment Locks
During the mapraid, please leave road locks as you find them, except for Freeways. Freeways may be locked to 5 after:
- All ramps are connected
- Stubs of lower-ranked roads are connected as needed, so that more editors may work on them.
After the mapraid, the roads will be checked and locked to the locking standards for India. You can read more about road lock standards in India (to be added?).
Add Gas Stations
We would like to open up the Gas Stations feature in the Waze app and need to have as many Gas Stations as possible added to the map. You can find them via the websites of Gas Station businesses and by reports of local Wazers.
Gas stations (a.k.a Petrol pumps in India) should be marked according to the guidelines described on the Places page
Solve URs and MPs
URs ( Update Requests; map problems reported by waze users) and MPs ( automatically generated Map Problems) show where the map needs work. We must solve them to fix the map. URs also give us a way to contact our fellow wazers, who may become interested in editing. Please follow the guidelines for problem reports in India.
If you notice any roads on the satellite layer that have not been added to the WME map, please first confirm that they exist before adding them. Make sure the road is complete, drivable, and is connected to the rest of the road network. Some clues you can use are:
- GPS layer showing wazers are driving on the road
- Street View on the road, showing it is in use
- Information from local drivers who have been there (this can be you, if you have been there)
Some roads are partially completed. Before extending the road, make sure the "new" section is completed, drivable, and connected. If you are unsure about roads that were created by another editor before the mapraid, DO NOT delete them without instructions from a host or champ.
For more information on adding roads, please see India Quickstart#Roads.
Improve Wiki pages
As we are currently updating our Indian wiki pages, we can use your help. Tell us where it is unclear, needs examples, or when pictures are outdated. We are grateful for your feedback. You can use this form to report your findings.
Mass edits and quality
We all want to drive with a good map! So, make sure you make quality edits that help all Wazers.
Your edits should always be constructive to the map. Be aware that we will monitor edits, so avoid unnecessary edits and hunting for points. Sanctions are strict, being banned from the mapraid and possibly from editing. In addition, Waze throttles your edits and points, meaning that you don't earn points for mass editing.
In short, if you make unneccesary edits:
- You will not get credited for your edits.
- You will not get any points for your edits.
- You will be REMOVED from the MapRaid immediately.
- Possibly banned from editing altogether.
Quality counts, not quantity!
- If you are unsure about something, please ask.
- Check and triple check.
- We have great leaders here who can help you.
- Let's make sure we do it right the first time, and set a great example for the rest of the world.
Editing in some parts of India can be frustrating due to errors when trying to save. However there are a few simple steps you can take to solve the errors.
- Remain calm. Breathe IN and OUT.
- Close the warning pop-up
- Look for the nearest segment WITHOUT a name (red road)
- Select that segment, and add a name (or check 'none' box)
- Still get the error? Retry these steps
If you can't make it work after several attempts you cal always ask for help in the India Slack.
Only use sources that are allowed by Waze.
- Satellite Imagery and Street-view from within WME.
- Websites from businesses.
NOT allowed sources:
- Info from other Maps.
- Google Maps
- Google Street-view.
Warning: If you copy information from unauthorized sources, you may be removed from this mapraid. Also, every segment you edited may be removed from the map. Copying information from copyrighted sources is illegal!
Basic reference links
- a printable double-sided tri-fold quick reference guide to some of the common topics used in WME. Please keep in mind it is made for USA originally, and some items do not apply.
Tools for this MapRaid
- There is an Overlay available that display the State borders via an extra layer.
To use it, you need to have TamperMonkey (available for Chrome and Firefox) or Greasemonkey (only Firefox) installed. There is a short instruction movie on youtube guiding installation. Please note that the areas may slightly differ from the actual areas you can edit during the raid.
Many tools are available that can make the editing process much easier. However, we encourage editors to learn how to edit without using scripts. Scripts can have bugs and often need to be worked on if WME updates. If you start using scripts, always make yourself acquainted with the script before using it! There is a wiki page and a forum with more information about scripts.
- a time and labor saving tool for responding to URs. There is a custom file for India.
- Read the documentation.
- To use it, you need to have TamperMonkey (available for Chrome and Firefox) or Greasemonkey (only Firefox) installed.
If you are using a tool or script, you are fully responsible for its use and its consequences. Please make sure that you understand the features of the script you are using. You will be held accountable for any side effects.
Join forces and have a nice Raid. Let´s make the map in Kerala and Goa outstanding!