If street names are changed to abbreviate the type of street (Dr, St, Pky, Ave, Blvd, etc.), as suggested on this page, will Waze pronounce them all correctly?
- Yes. I've confirmed it first hand. Doctorkb 02:08, 4 January 2013 (UTC)
Waze road types for Canada
Highways in Canada (specifically Ontario and Quebec, my only experience) are different than ones in the US. According to the US road types we would have no (or few) major highways. Several highways are major, but not limited for example in the Montreal/Ottawa area.
148 117 125 132 138 in Quebec, which are major compared to 300 series routes which are in yellow.
17 138 38 7 in Eastern Ontario, this would distinguish them from county roads which are all yellow.
It would be far more useful for Canadian wazers to have these as major highways, how about we define standards for Canada?
How about out west and the maritimes? I don't know the road systems out there but are there similar problems?
- Out west: coming from Alberta & BC, there are few "Major" highways -- for most of these provinces, you'll see two major routes going east-west (TCH Hwy 1 & TCH Hwy 16), and one or two major routes going north-south (BC 5, 97/97C; AB 2).
- As most of these routes pass through cities, the US definitions break (there are stop lights, for example, on the TCH 1 through Calgary).
- I would propose that we not downgrade these routes to "Minor" when they pass through a city -- it is useful for those from outside the city to know the official route they are trying to follow, even if it's not the most major of streets in that locale. doctorkb
- Agreed. We are going to have a hard time coming up with a national standard; it's going to have to be province-by-province standards. As a starting point for discussion, I would suggest copying the U.S. definition for freeway (multilane, can get on or off only at ramps). For "major highway", a definition that might work for Alberta would be a highway where a significant part of it is multilane divided, but traffic can enter at lights or stop signs. But in Atlantic Canada, northern Ontario, northern B.C., etc., they might want some two-lane highways to be "major". And "minor highway" would be anything else with a provincial highway number. Erablian 21:49, 26 November 2012 (UTC)
Street names and abbreviations
The default (system generated?) street names of many streets in Canada are not abbreviated. Will these names be auto updated by the system? It would be a huge amount of work to edit all the street names to show abbreviations as suggested.
- Think of it this way -- it's an easy way to get to 100K or 200K edits! :) Doctorkb 21:52, 1 January 2013 (UTC)