| The new Waze Wiki, aka Wazeopedia, is now live at Wazeopedia.waze.com! While this legacy wiki will remain accessible for the time being, it is no longer updated by the community. For the most up-to-date guidance, please visit your local Wazeopedia.
Please do not make any more updates to these legacy wiki pages, all future updates should be made in your country's local Wazeopedia.
User:JasonN899/West Virginia Map Raid
Map Raid West Virginia will run for approximately 16 days from Sunday March 18th through Sunday April 2nd.
- 1 Welcome to Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
- 2 Map Raid Goals
- 3 Raid Areas
- 4 Raid Groups
- 5 Local Hosts
- 6 WV Leadership and Area Managers
- 7 Important!
- 8 Local Guidance
- 9 Mapping Resources
- 10 Reference Links
- 11 Results
- 12 MapRaid Promotions
Welcome to Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Despite its relatively small size, the Mountain State is home to approximately 3,100 cities, towns and small communities. To link them (and to provide an important part of the transport of the state’s abundant natural resources), there are some 36,000 miles of state-maintained highways that include 6,636 bridges (this figure does not include 238 railroad bridges, 117 city and county bridges, 99 West Virginia Turnpike bridges, 20 state park bridges, two private toll bridges and 132 other non-highway bridges).
Map Raid Goals
We would like to prioritize our efforts during the map raid to get the most needed items completed first. While participating in the Raid, please reference this list. Move to the next item on the list ONLY when the above item is complete. If you are not sure if one of the items are complete in your area, please contact a Local Host or your Group Leader for guidance.
- Base Map / Connectivity
- Verify Direction of Segments
- Correct Turn Restrictions (TR)
- Solidify Soft Turns
- Verify Names
- Alt Names
- County Route (CR)
- Add/Update/Remove City/CDP Names on Segments
- Add USPS City as Alt Only
- Verify Road Type
- Unpaved (Gravel/Dirt)
- Undrivable (4x4/Jeep Trail/ATV)
- Remove/Add/Update PLR or PR per National Wiki Guidance
- Remove Other State Names on Segments (OH/VA/KY/PA/MD)
- Add Speed Limits (SL)
- Remove Unnecessary Junction Nodes
- Adjust Geometry
- Adjust Elevations
- Update Lock Levels
- If above your Rank, please ask for assistance
- Remove City Names on Freeway (FW) Segments
- Add Red Cross Shelters
- Add/Update Fire Stations
- Add/Update Hospitals/Emergency Rooms/Urgent Care Facilities
- Add/Update Schools
- Add/Update other Area Places
- Confirm correct usage (Area vs Point)
- Add/Update Point Places
- Confirm correct usage (Point vs Area)
- Address User Reports (URs)
- Address Place Update Requests (PUR)
- Address Map Problems (MP)
WV Leadership and Area Managers
Please do not mass-edit Do not perform edits which will affect large numbers of segments at once. The edit history of segments is highly valuable in the process of solving URs. Mass editing effectively mass erases this history, permanently. We ask that all necessary processes which might affect large portions of the map, or long stretches of roads, be reserved until near the end of the MapRaid. This includes the “Select entire street” function.
Anything locked at 5 or 6? Please check with a local editor before making changes. Rank 5 and 6 editors - consider keeping highlights active for locks 5 and 6.
Close nodes We make extensive use of the "micro-dogleg" technique, where a geometry node is carefully placed, at full zoom, directly next to a junction node, in order to set the angle to create a desired Turn/Stay/Exit prompt. Please watch for these if you move any junction node, and be sure to recreate the same angle at the new location.
State & County Route Naming
State highways that are primarily signed at entering intersections with a State Route number like rather than a road name should be named WV-### ("WV-2"). County roads that are primarily signed at entering intersections with County Road numbers like or rather than a road name should be named CR-## or CR-##/## ("CR-65" or "CR-91/1").
The Functional Classification (FC) has been completed in West Virginia.
Occasionally, we find short segments that were missed in the selection process for conversion, and it is important that these be corrected for routing continuity. In general, however, we ask that Road Types not be changed without consulting either your Group Leader or one of the Local Hosts. In isolated cases, we have chosen to deviate from official classifications, due to errors or outdated information in the FC maps, or to better accommodate real-life situations and Waze quirks. It is important that these remain intact. Sometimes dirt roads may appear higher on FC maps but shouldn't be used by Waze for routing.
For more in depth information regarding FC please visit the Road Type Wiki
MAR Minimum Road Lock Standard
|Minimum Road Lock Standard|
|Other Named Types||5|
Note that these are minimums and, for protection, certain segments may be at higher lock levels. If you find a road locked to a higher level than its minimum, please leave it locked no lower than that level when you have finished editing.
West Virginia User Report Management
West Virginia has a very good grasp on User Reports/Map Problems throughout the state. This will not be a "focus" of the raid, but please feel free to work any UR/MP's in your editable area. Remember to follow the Response Timeline guidelines below.
(NOTE: all day values are relative to the date the FIRST editor response is sent to the reporter)
The first editor who is able to respond to a User Report (UR) should attempt to resolve the UR. If they are successful, they should comment as such in the UR and mark it "Solved". If more information from the reporter is required to make progress towards closure, a response should be sent to the reporter containing the information needed for resolution.
Polite reminders should be sent to reporters who have not responded to the initial at any time, provided at least four full days have elapsed since the initial response was sent
URs may be noted as closed due to lack of reporter response at any time, provided at least four full days have elapsed since the followup message was sent. These need to be marked as "Not Identified" and a brief comment sent.
Cameras will not be mapped
§17C-6-7a of the West Virginia Code prohibits use of cameras to detect or prove traffic law violations.
West Virginia follows the national Places guidance.
To prevent loss of data due to automatic acceptance of submissions from "trusted users, all area places and points with complete data should be locked to Level 2 at a minimum. Additionally, please consult the following table for minimum lock level for completed places.
|Place Type||Minimum Lock Level|
Emergency/Red Cross Shelters
West Virginia Maps
- West Virginia Official Highway Map
- WVDOT Maps
- West Virginia Functional Class Map
- West Virginia GIS Mapping Portal
- West Virginia Federal Aid Roads
- Work Zone Information
West Virginia GIS Resources
We highly recommend that you install the WME GIS script. This script will make it a lot easier to access the multiple GIS websites.
If you do not wish to install this script please visit the West Virginia Cities and Towns page for all GIS links. NOTE:Not all WV counties have GIS links. Only hyperlinked county names are linked to the County GIS. City/Town names are hyperlinked to the WME Permalink. If you get confused digging through all of the different GIS sites, which will probably happen (it has to all of us), please contact your Group Leader or a Local Host for guidance
West Virginia Wiki Page
If you have any questions regarding WV standards during editing and you cannot find the answer on this page, please visit the West Virginia Wiki Page.
West Virginia Map Raid Forum
- New editor welcome page
- Waze Map Editor
- Best Map Editing Practice
- Editing manual
- Common editing mistakes
- How to make a Permalink
- All about using the WME Chat
- Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools where you'll links and descriptions to most of the editing scripts being used. Some of these are essential to good editing, and others make the editing process much easier. WME Validator, URO+, and WME Toolbox are highly recommended.
Recommended Tools for MR West Virginia
Note: Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey may be required to use any of the following scripts.
- WME US Government Boundaries is a script that will display USPS Zip Code Boundaries on the map.
- Validator is a script that validates a map area in Waze Map Editor, highlights issues and generates a very detailed report with wiki references and solutions.
- WME Chat Addon is a script that improves the WME chat GUI. For a list of all the features check the thread here.
- WME Color Highlights (WMECH) - colors segments as indicated by user selections
- Junction Angle Info (JAI) -- shows you the number of degrees between segments, crucial for ensuring correct turn guidance
- WME Toolbox (WMETB or TB) - allows users to do more repetitive edit tasks with the click of a button
- WME Place Harmonizer acts on a single selected place to validate, format, and harmonize the information for the selected place, this is a great tool when updating places and PUR's.
Boots on the ground
Please contact a Local Host for any Boots on the Ground requests.
Disclaimer: We have a limited number of editors in a large state. Please bear with us when requesting BOTG, we may not be able to provide an answer within the raid timeline, but will do our best.
|Watch here for results of the Raid.|
Some editors really let their bright side out, and let their community skills shine. This is even more evident in a concerted group effort with high-density editing like a MapRaid!. Editors of all ranks working closely with each other and the Champs, really lets us everyone get to know each other, and allows certain editors to be recognized for their skills and effort.
When the Champs see someone consistently editing well, interacting well with the community, and knowledgeable of the various details from the Wiki, they can issue promotions. This can be anything from the size of a managed area, to a rank increase, or even a new role.
|Watch here for results of promotions during and after the raid.|